1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spiderman Free fall problem

1. Jan 31, 2006 #1
    EDIT: Thanks Hootenanny and Doc Al for looking and trying the problem. I figured out my mistake [tex]h_2 = h - \frac{h}{n}[/tex] not [tex]h_2 = 1- \frac{h}{n}[/tex]

I've been working on this for a sick amount of time, please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong...

The question is:

Spiderman steps from the top of a tall building. He falls freely from rest to the ground a distance of h. He falls a distance of [tex] \frac{h}{n} [/tex] in the last interval of time of ∆t of his fall. What is the height h of the building?

There's probably a much easier way to approach this but this is what I did (yea, there's room for alot of error):

I made [tex]h_1 = \frac{h}{n}[/tex] and [tex]h_2 = 1- \frac{h}{n}[/tex]

[tex]V_{final}^2 = 2gh_2[/tex]
    [tex]V_{final} = \sqrt{2gh_2}[/tex]

since Vfinal from 0 to 1- h/n is equal to Vinitial from h/n to h...

0 = [tex]h_1 + \sqrt{2gh_2} \Delta t - 0.5g\Delta t^2\\[/tex]
    [tex]0.5g\Delta t^2 - h_1 = \sqrt{2gh_2} \Delta t[/tex]
    [tex]0.5g\Delta t - \frac{h_1}{\Delta t} = \sqrt{2gh_2}[/tex]
    [tex](0.5g\Delta t - \frac{h_1}{\Delta t})^2 = 2gh_2[/tex]
    [tex]0.25g^2\Delta t^2 - gh_1 + \frac{h_1^2}{\Delta t^2} = 2gh_2[/tex]

I set [tex]\beta = 0.25g^2\Delta t^2[/tex] and plug in the values for h1 and h2

[tex]\beta - \frac{g}{n} h + \frac{1}{\Delta t^2 n^2} h^2 = 2g - \frac{2gh}{n}[/tex]
    [tex](\beta - 2g) + \frac{g}{n}h + \frac{1}{\Delta t^2 n^2} h^2 = 0[/tex]

[tex]Ah^2 +Bh +C = 0[/tex]
    [tex]A = \frac{1}{\Delta t^2 n^2}[/tex]
    [tex]B = \frac{g}{n}[/tex]
    [tex]C = 0.25g^2\Delta t^2 -2g[/tex]

and then I solved the quadratic. um, extremely incorrect...I was able to check my answer because the same problem was written as:

"Spiderman steps from the top of a tall building. He falls freely from rest to the ground a distance of h. He falls a distance of h/4 in the last interval of time of 1.0 sec of his fall. What is the height h of the building?"

in another source and the answer is h = 270m

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try using [tex] v^2 = u^2 + 2as [/tex]
    where [itex] v = final velocity, u = initial velocity, a = acceleration = g, s = displacement = h [/itex]
    using your working above you could sub [tex] v^2 = 2gh [/tex] into the above equation.
    Edit: Just a note to say that this solution neglects air resistance.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  4. Jan 31, 2006 #3
    Thanks for replying.

That is the equation I used in the first step; should I be using it again somewhere else?

I guess I forgot to mention that we have only learned one dimensional motion and vectors so air resistance is still being ignored in all the problems.

5. Jan 31, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Try using the kinematic formula relating distance and time:
    [tex]s = 1/2 a t^2[/tex]

6. Jan 31, 2006 #5
    Thanks for the suggestion. I actually just figured out what I did wrong ( [tex]h_2 = h - \frac{h}{n}[/tex] not [tex]h_2 = 1 - \frac{h}{n}[/tex]). :P

7. Jan 23, 2008 #6
    My question:
    Spiderman steps from the top of a tall building. He falls freely from rest to the ground a distance of h. He falls a distance of h/ 3 in the last interval of time of 1.0 s of his fall.

I technically have the same problem, however a different n value. I am trying the solution here (obviously with 3 not 4) and can not find the correct answer... any suggestions? thanks alot

8. Jan 23, 2008 #7
    Scratch that, I was able to rearrange it and understand.

For a h/3 with a time of 1 sec the answer is 150...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?