Spin-spin relaxation time in water

In summary, the speaker is looking for a source to compare their NMR lab results to, specifically the spin-spin and spin-lattice relaxation times of pure water. They have been searching online with little success and are asking if anyone knows where to find this information. Another member suggests that the exact values of T1 and T2 also depend on temperature, pulse sequence, and frequency/field strength, but the speaker's crash course in theory suggests that these values are characteristic of the material being studied. However, they admit that they have not studied this theory in detail.
KBriggs
Hey all,

I just finished a lab on NMR, and I am looking around for a value to compare my results to. Does anyone know of a place I can find the spin-spin and spin-lattice relaxation times of pure water? I have been googling around with little success so far beyond order of magnitude estimates.

Thanks,
KBriggs

Physics news on Phys.org
It's been a while since I studied NMR, but don't the exact values of T1 and T2 depend on the temperature, pulse sequence and frequency/field strength?

The crash course in theory I was given before the lab suggests that t1 and t2 are characteristic of the material being studied, while the magnetic field used dictates the length of the pulses needed to flip the net magnetization around in the sample, and temperature serves to mess with the uniformity of the magnetic field. So while these things will certainly effect your results, it would not ideally be the case. That said, I have not actually studied the theory in any detail in any point in my education so far, so that could be way off (the labs at my school are good like that...)

What is spin-spin relaxation time in water?

Spin-spin relaxation time, also known as T2, is a measure of the time it takes for the magnetic moments of the nuclei in a sample of water to return to their original alignment after being disturbed by an external magnetic field. It is an important parameter in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) experiments and can provide information about the molecular structure and dynamics of water molecules.

How is spin-spin relaxation time measured?

Spin-spin relaxation time can be measured using various techniques, such as pulsed NMR or continuous wave NMR. In pulsed NMR, a short radiofrequency pulse is applied to the sample, causing the nuclei to flip and then return to their original alignment. The decay of the signal from the nuclei can then be analyzed to determine the T2 value. In continuous wave NMR, the T2 value is calculated from the width of the signal peak of the nuclei in the sample.

What factors affect spin-spin relaxation time in water?

The spin-spin relaxation time in water can be influenced by several factors, including temperature, pH, and the presence of other molecules or ions in the sample. Higher temperatures and lower pH values generally result in shorter T2 values, while the presence of other molecules can lead to changes in the interactions between water molecules and affect the T2 value.

What are the applications of spin-spin relaxation time in water?

The measurement of spin-spin relaxation time in water has various applications in different fields. In medicine, it is used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to produce high-resolution images of tissues and organs. In chemistry, it is used to study the structure and dynamics of molecules in solution. It is also used in environmental studies to analyze the properties of different types of water, such as groundwater and seawater.

How does spin-spin relaxation time in water differ from other relaxation times?

Spin-spin relaxation time is one of three relaxation times that are commonly measured in NMR experiments, along with spin-lattice relaxation time (T1) and spin-lattice relaxation time in the rotating frame (T1ρ). While T2 represents the decay of the nuclear spin signal in the transverse plane, T1 and T1ρ represent the decay of the signal in the longitudinal plane. Additionally, T2 is typically shorter than T1 and T1ρ in water due to the rapid tumbling motion of water molecules.