Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spinor index notation craziness

1. Mar 8, 2009 #1
    I'm differentiating with respect to Grassman variables, and I'm getting something very inconsistent:

Suppose [itex]\xi[/itex] and [itex]\chi[/itex] are two-component, left-handed, grassman-valued spinors. Now, I take derivatives with of the product, [itex]\xi^a \chi_a[/itex], respect to [itex]\xi[/itex] two different ways, and denote their results by [itex]\Pi[/tex] :

[tex]1. \hspace{5mm} \Pi_b=\frac{\partial}{\partial\xi^b}(\xi^a\chi_a)=\delta_b^{\phantom b a}\chi_a=\chi_b[/tex]

[tex]2. \hspace{5mm} \Pi^b=\frac{\partial}{\partial\xi_b}(\xi^a\chi_a)=\frac{\partial}{\partial\xi_b}(\epsilon^{ac}\xi_c\chi_a)=\epsilon^{ac}\delta_c^{\phantom c b}\chi_a=\epsilon^{ab}\chi_a=-\epsilon^{ba}\chi_a=-\chi^b[/tex]

I would have expected 1 and 2 to come out with the same sign (with the only difference being the position of the spinor index). Apparently, they are not coming out with the same sign. If I did the math correctly, how am I supposed to interpret this?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2009 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Well, your math is right. It must mean that, for consistency, the rule for raising and lowering a spinor index on a derivative must carry an opposite sign to the rule for rule for raising and lowering a spinor index on the field itself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook