Energy momentum tensor for RNS superstring

In summary, the RNS action in flat gauge is given by S=-\frac{1}{8\pi}\int d\sigma d\tau\,\frac{2}{\alpha'}\partial_\alpha X^{\mu}\partial^\alpha X_\mu+2i\bar{\psi}_A^\mu\gamma_{AB}^\alpha\partial_\alpha\psi_{\mu B}, with \mu as a spacetime vector index, \alpha as a worldsheet vector index and A,B as Dirac spinor indices. The energy-momentum tensor is given by T_{\alpha\beta}=\partial_\alpha X^\mu\partial_\beta X_\mu+\frac{1}{4}\bar
physicus

Homework Statement

The RNS action in flat gauge is given by
[itex]S=-\frac{1}{8\pi}\int d\sigma d\tau\,\frac{2}{\alpha'}\partial_\alpha X^{\mu}\partial^\alpha X_\mu+2i\bar{\psi}_A^\mu\gamma_{AB}^\alpha\partial_\alpha\psi_{\mu B}[/itex]
[itex]\mu[/itex] is a spacetime vector index, [itex]\alpha[/itex] a worldsheet vector intex and [itex]A,B[/itex] are Dirac spinor indices. Show that the energy-momentum tensor is given by
[itex]T_{\alpha\beta}=\partial_\alpha X^\mu\partial_\beta X_\mu+\frac{1}{4}\bar{\psi}^\mu\gamma_\alpha \partial_\beta \psi_\mu+\frac{1}{4}\bar{\psi}^\mu\gamma_\beta \partial_\alpha \psi_\mu-(\text{trace})[/itex]
where Dirac indices are supressed.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have serious trouble solving this. The energy momentum tensor is defined as
[itex] T_{\alpha\beta}=\frac{4\pi}{\sqrt{-h}}\frac{\delta S}{\delta h^{\alpha\beta}}[/itex]
where [itex]h_{\alpha\beta}[/itex] is the worldsheet metric and [itex]h[/itex] its determinant.

My first problem is, that the expression above is already gauge fixed. In order to take the variation of the action with respect to the metric I have to reintroduce it in the action which yields
[itex]S=-\frac{1}{8\pi}\int d\sigma d\tau\,\sqrt{-h}\left[\frac{2}{\alpha'}h^{\alpha\beta}\partial_\alpha X^{\mu}\partial_\beta X_\mu+2ih^{\alpha\beta}\bar{\psi}^\mu \gamma_{\alpha} \partial_{\beta} \psi_{\mu B}\right][/itex]
Is that correct? I have read that also the metric $h_{\alpha\beta}$ has a superpartner, do I have to introduce the superpartner instead of the metric itself in the fermionic part of the action?

Although I am not sure if my form of the action with the metric reintroduced is correct I tried to do the calculation:
[itex] \frac{\delta S}{\delta h^{\alpha\beta}} [/itex]
[itex]= -\frac{1}{8\pi}\int d\sigma d\tau \left[\frac{1}{2\sqrt{-h}}\frac{-\delta h}{\delta h^{\alpha\beta}}h^{\epsilon\rho}( \partial_{\epsilon} X^{\mu}\partial_\rho X_\mu+2i\bar{\psi}^\mu\gamma_{\epsilon} \partial_{\rho} \psi_{\mu B})\right]-\frac{1}{8\pi}\sqrt{-h}(\partial_\alpha X^{\mu}\partial_\beta X_\mu+2i\bar{\psi}^\mu\gamma_{\alpha} \partial_{\beta} \psi_{\mu B})[/itex]
[itex] = -\frac{1}{8\pi}\left[-\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{-h}h_{\alpha\beta}h^{\epsilon\rho}( \partial_{\epsilon} X^{\mu} \partial_{\rho} X_\mu+2i\bar{\psi}^\mu\gamma_{\epsilon} \partial_{\rho} \psi_{\mu B})+\sqrt{-h}(\partial_\alpha X^{\mu}\partial_\beta X_\mu+2i\bar{\psi}^\mu\gamma_{\alpha} \partial_{\beta} \psi_{\mu B})\right][/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow T_{\alpha\beta}=\frac{4\pi}{\sqrt{-h}}\frac{\delta S}{\delta h^{\alpha\beta}} = \frac{1}{4}h_{\alpha\beta}h^{\epsilon\rho}( {\partial}_{\epsilon} X^{\mu} \partial_{\rho} X_\mu+2i\bar{\psi}^\mu\gamma_{\epsilon} \partial_{\rho} \psi_{\mu B})-\frac{1}{2}(\partial_\alpha X^{\mu}\partial_\beta X_\mu+2i\bar{\psi}^\mu\gamma_{\alpha} \partial_{\beta} \psi_{\mu B})[/itex]

Unfortunately, that does not look like the given solution. Does anybody know what I did wrong or which other approach I could choose? I am very thenkful for any help. Also, I am grateful for any reference to literature.

physicus

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know much about string theory, but are you sure the variation of gamma matrices vanishes? [itex] \frac{\delta \gamma^\rho}{\delta g^{\alpha \beta}}= 0[/itex] ?

1. What is the energy momentum tensor for RNS superstring?

The energy momentum tensor for RNS superstring is a mathematical object that describes the distribution of energy and momentum in a superstring theory. It is a tensor field that has 10 components and is used to calculate physical quantities such as the stress-energy tensor and the equations of motion.

2. How is the energy momentum tensor for RNS superstring derived?

The energy momentum tensor for RNS superstring is derived from the action of the superstring theory. The action is a mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of the string and includes terms for the kinetic energy, potential energy, and coupling to external fields. The energy momentum tensor is obtained by varying the action with respect to the metric tensor, which represents the geometry of spacetime.

3. What is the significance of the energy momentum tensor in superstring theory?

The energy momentum tensor is significant in superstring theory because it allows us to calculate physical quantities and make predictions about the behavior of strings. It is also a crucial component in the equations of motion, which describe how the string moves through spacetime. In addition, the energy momentum tensor is conserved, meaning that it remains constant as the string moves along its trajectory.

4. How does the energy momentum tensor for RNS superstring differ from other string theories?

The energy momentum tensor for RNS superstring differs from other string theories in the number of components it has. In RNS superstring theory, the tensor has 10 components, while in other string theories such as bosonic string theory, it has 26 components. This difference is due to the inclusion of fermionic degrees of freedom in RNS superstring theory.

5. How is the energy momentum tensor used in practical applications of superstring theory?

The energy momentum tensor is used in practical applications of superstring theory to calculate physical quantities such as scattering amplitudes and correlation functions. It is also used in the study of black holes and other cosmological phenomena, as well as in the development of new mathematical tools for understanding and solving problems in superstring theory.