1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy momentum tensor for RNS superstring

1. Aug 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The RNS action in flat gauge is given by
    [itex]S=-\frac{1}{8\pi}\int d\sigma d\tau\,\frac{2}{\alpha'}\partial_\alpha X^{\mu}\partial^\alpha X_\mu+2i\bar{\psi}_A^\mu\gamma_{AB}^\alpha\partial_\alpha\psi_{\mu B}[/itex]
    [itex]\mu[/itex] is a spacetime vector index, [itex]\alpha[/itex] a worldsheet vector intex and [itex]A,B[/itex] are Dirac spinor indices. Show that the energy-momentum tensor is given by
    [itex]T_{\alpha\beta}=\partial_\alpha X^\mu\partial_\beta X_\mu+\frac{1}{4}\bar{\psi}^\mu\gamma_\alpha \partial_\beta \psi_\mu+\frac{1}{4}\bar{\psi}^\mu\gamma_\beta \partial_\alpha \psi_\mu-(\text{trace})[/itex]
    where Dirac indices are supressed.

3. The attempt at a solution

I really have serious trouble solving this. The energy momentum tensor is defined as
    [itex] T_{\alpha\beta}=\frac{4\pi}{\sqrt{-h}}\frac{\delta S}{\delta h^{\alpha\beta}}[/itex]
    where [itex]h_{\alpha\beta}[/itex] is the worldsheet metric and [itex]h[/itex] its determinant.

My first problem is, that the expression above is already gauge fixed. In order to take the variation of the action with respect to the metric I have to reintroduce it in the action which yields
    [itex]S=-\frac{1}{8\pi}\int d\sigma d\tau\,\sqrt{-h}\left[\frac{2}{\alpha'}h^{\alpha\beta}\partial_\alpha X^{\mu}\partial_\beta X_\mu+2ih^{\alpha\beta}\bar{\psi}^\mu \gamma_{\alpha} \partial_{\beta} \psi_{\mu B}\right][/itex]
    Is that correct? I have read that also the metric $h_{\alpha\beta}$ has a superpartner, do I have to introduce the superpartner instead of the metric itself in the fermionic part of the action?

Although I am not sure if my form of the action with the metric reintroduced is correct I tried to do the calculation:
    [itex] \frac{\delta S}{\delta h^{\alpha\beta}} [/itex]
    [itex]= -\frac{1}{8\pi}\int d\sigma d\tau \left[\frac{1}{2\sqrt{-h}}\frac{-\delta h}{\delta h^{\alpha\beta}}h^{\epsilon\rho}( \partial_{\epsilon} X^{\mu}\partial_\rho X_\mu+2i\bar{\psi}^\mu\gamma_{\epsilon} \partial_{\rho} \psi_{\mu B})\right]-\frac{1}{8\pi}\sqrt{-h}(\partial_\alpha X^{\mu}\partial_\beta X_\mu+2i\bar{\psi}^\mu\gamma_{\alpha} \partial_{\beta} \psi_{\mu B})[/itex]
    [itex] = -\frac{1}{8\pi}\left[-\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{-h}h_{\alpha\beta}h^{\epsilon\rho}( \partial_{\epsilon} X^{\mu} \partial_{\rho} X_\mu+2i\bar{\psi}^\mu\gamma_{\epsilon} \partial_{\rho} \psi_{\mu B})+\sqrt{-h}(\partial_\alpha X^{\mu}\partial_\beta X_\mu+2i\bar{\psi}^\mu\gamma_{\alpha} \partial_{\beta} \psi_{\mu B})\right][/itex]
    [itex]\Rightarrow T_{\alpha\beta}=\frac{4\pi}{\sqrt{-h}}\frac{\delta S}{\delta h^{\alpha\beta}} = \frac{1}{4}h_{\alpha\beta}h^{\epsilon\rho}( {\partial}_{\epsilon} X^{\mu} \partial_{\rho} X_\mu+2i\bar{\psi}^\mu\gamma_{\epsilon} \partial_{\rho} \psi_{\mu B})-\frac{1}{2}(\partial_\alpha X^{\mu}\partial_\beta X_\mu+2i\bar{\psi}^\mu\gamma_{\alpha} \partial_{\beta} \psi_{\mu B})[/itex]

Unfortunately, that does not look like the given solution. Does anybody know what I did wrong or which other approach I could choose? I am very thenkful for any help. Also, I am grateful for any reference to literature.

Best regards, physicus

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2012 #2
    I don't know much about string theory, but are you sure the variation of gamma matrices vanishes? [itex] \frac{\delta \gamma^\rho}{\delta g^{\alpha \beta}}= 0[/itex] ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook