1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spinor notation excercise with grassman numbers

1. Mar 26, 2012 #1
    Spinor notation exercise with grassman numbers

I'm checking a term when squaring a vector superfield in Wess-Zumino gauge, but its really just an excercise in index/spinor notation:

I need to square the term [itex]\left(\theta^{\alpha}\left(\sigma^{\mu}\right)_{\alpha\dot{\beta}}\bar{\theta}^{\dot{\beta}}\right)V_{\mu}[/itex]

where [itex]\theta^{\alpha}[/itex] is a Weyl spinor of grassman numbers, [itex]\bar{\theta}^{\dot{\beta}}[/itex] is a spinor in conjugate rep, [itex]\sigma^{\mu}[/itex] is a Pauli 4-vector (ie [itex]\left(1,\sigma^{i}\right)[/itex]) and [itex]V_{\mu}[/itex] is just a 4-vector.

The answer is [itex]\frac{1}{2}\left(\theta\theta\right)\left(\bar{\theta}\bar{\theta}\right)V^{\mu}V_{\mu}[/itex] where [itex]\left(\theta\theta\right)\equiv\theta^{\alpha}\theta_{\alpha}[/itex] and [itex]\left(\bar{\theta}\bar{\theta}\right)\equiv\theta_{\dot{\beta}}\theta^{\dot{\beta}}[/itex].

So, in detail, to square the term I want to multiply it by a similar term with upper and lower indices switched:
    [itex]\left(\theta^{\alpha}\left(\sigma^{\mu}\right)_{\alpha\dot{\beta}}\bar{\theta}^{\dot{\beta}}\right)\left(\theta_{\delta}\left(\sigma_{\nu}\right)^{\delta\dot{\gamma}}\bar{\theta}_{\dot{\gamma}}\right)V^{\nu}V_{\mu}[/itex].

First of all I switch the [itex]\bar{\theta}^{\dot{\beta}}\theta_{\delta}[/itex] for free as they commute(?)

Then since [itex]\theta^{\alpha}\theta_{delta}=\theta^{\alpha}\theta^{\lambda}\epsilon_{\lambda\delta}=-\frac{1}{2}\left(\theta\theta\right)\epsilon^{\alpha\lambda}\epsilon^{\lambda\delta}=-\frac{1}{2}\left(\theta\theta\right)\delta^{\alpha}_{\delta}[/itex],
    and similarly [itex]\bar{\theta}^{\dot{\beta}}\bar{\theta}_{\dot{\gamma}}=\frac{1}{2}\left(\bar{\theta}\bar{\theta}\right)\delta^{\dot{\beta}}_{\dot{\gamma}}[/itex], I have

[itex]-\frac{1}{4}\left(\theta\theta\right)\left(\bar{\theta}\bar{\theta}\right)\delta^{\alpha}_{\delta}\delta^{\dot{\beta}}_{\dot{\gamma}}\left(\sigma^{\mu}\right)_{\alpha\dot{\beta}}\left(\sigma_{\nu}\right)^{\delta\dot{\gamma}}V^{\nu}V_{\mu}[/itex].

Or [itex]-\frac{1}{4}\left(\theta\theta\right)\left(\bar{\theta}\bar{\theta}\right)\left(\sigma^{\mu}\right)_{\alpha\dot{\beta}}\left(\sigma_{\nu}\right)^{\alpha\dot{\beta}}V^{\nu}V_{\mu}[/itex].

So, does [itex]\left(\sigma^{\mu}\right)_{\alpha\dot{\beta}}\left(\sigma_{\nu}\right)^{\alpha\dot{\beta}}=-2\delta^{\mu}_{\nu}[/itex]?

Its possible that a minus sign comes from the commutation of the two thetas in the first step, and perhaps I should have used the conjugate pauli 4-vector [itex]\left(-1,\sigma^{i}\right)[/itex] to square the term?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted