1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spins 1/2 and Time-Dependant Perturbation Theory

1. Mar 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We consider two spins 1/2, [itex] \vec{S_{1}}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{S_{2}}[/itex], coupled by an interaction of the form [itex]H=\alpha(t)\vec{S_{1}}*\vec{S_{2}}[/itex]. [itex]\alpha(t)[/itex] is a function of time who approches 0 for |t|-->infinity and takes appreciable values only in the interval of [itex][-\tau,\tau][/itex] near 0.

a) À t=-infinity, the system is in the state |+->. What is the probability of finding the particle in the state |-+> for t=infinity with the first order perturbation theory.

b) Prove that we can solve exactly this problem with the Schrodinger equation. Suggestion : you can start with the exact equation
    [itex] $\displaystylei\hbar \frac{db_{n}}{dt}=\sum_{k} exp(iw_{nk}t)W_{nk}b_{k}(t)$ [/itex]

for the b(t) coefficients. Comparing this result with part a), what conditions is required so that perturbation theory is correct?

2. Relevant equations

[itex] $\displaystyle \frac{d^{2}b}{dt^{2}}= \frac{db_{n}}{dt}(\frac{d\alpha}{dt}\frac{1}{\alpha}+C_{1}\alpha)+C_{2}\alpha^2 b$ [/itex]

have the solution

[itex]$ b(t)=Aexp(C_{+}\int_{-inf}^{inf}\alpha(t')dt')+Bexp(C_{-}\int_{-infinity}^{t}\alpha(t')dt'$[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

a)
    Ok. So, the first thing I did is write [itex]\vec{S_{1}}*\vec{S_{2}}=\frac{1}{2}(S_{1+}S_{2-}+S{1-}S{2+}+2S{1z}S{2z})[/itex].
    I calculated that
    [itex]\frac{1}{2}<-+|S_{1+}S_{2-}|+->=0[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{1}{2}<-+|S_{1-}S_{2+}|+->=\frac{\hbar^2}{4}[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{1}{2}<-+|Sz1Sz2|+->=0[/itex]

So, I used
    [itex]P=\frac{1}{2}\left|\int_{-inf}^{inf}dt'exp(iwt')\alpha(t)<-+|\vec{S_{1}}*\vec{S_{2}}|+->|\right|^2[/itex]

which finally gave
    [itex] P=\frac{\hbar^2}{4}\left| \int_{-inf}^{inf} dt' exp(iwt') \alpha(t') \right| ^2 [/itex]

That's as far as I can go as I don't know [itex] \alpha(t) [/itex].

b) Well... there's the problem. I start with the suggestion,
    [itex] $\displaystylei\hbar \frac{db_{n}}{dt}=\sum_{k} exp(iw_{nk}t)W_{nk}b_{k}(t)$ [/itex]

I have no clue of where to start from that. Basically, I have to jump from the last equation I wrote to the equations written in the relevant equations. So, I'll try to make what I think, but this could be very wrong.

[itex] $\displaystylei\hbar \frac{db_{0}}{dt}=exp(iw_{01}t)W_{10}b_{1}(t)$ [/itex]
    Let's say that, for the sake of me not writing more in this already long post, that [itex] W(t)=\alpha(t)*K [/itex]

We have [itex] $\displaystylei\hbar \frac{db_{0}}{dt}=exp(iw_{01}t)K\alpha(t)b_{1}(t)$ [/itex]

Now, I'm stuck. I can't take the derivative whit respect to time at each side, because I don't know the b's.

Have a clue? :S

Thank you for reading me!
    Erythro73

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2008 #2
    If I don't have any answer yet... Is it because my thread is badly done (have I forgot to put something?) or because nobody has a clue? :S

I'm still searching on my part.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?