RG flow of quadrupole coupling in 6+1 dimension electrostatic problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of using the Euler-Lagrange equation to solve a Lagrangian, with a focus on a specific term containing lambda. The equations obtained are independent of Q and involve the fields phi and sigma.
DaniV
Homework Statement
Given a classical action which describes electrostatics in 6+1 dimensions
$$\frac{S_\text{eff}}{T}=\frac{1}{2} \int d^6x(\nabla\phi)^2+\frac{S_{p.p}}{T}$$

where the one particle action, that represents the energy of the monopole dipole and quadrupole induced by charge distribution around the origin is:

$$\frac{S_{p.p}}{T}=-q\phi(0)-D\nabla_i\phi(0)\nabla^i\phi(0)-Q\nabla_i\nabla_j\phi(0)\nabla^i\nabla^j\phi(0)+...$$

Now we add to the theory a scalar field ##\sigma## that couples to the potential ##\phi## so the action becomes:

$$\frac{S_\text{eff}}{T}=\int d^6x\left[(\nabla \phi)^2+(\nabla \sigma)^2+\lambda\sigma (\nabla \phi)^2\right]+\frac{S_{p.p}}{T}$$

and the system is subjected to an external quadrupole background $$\bar \phi=\frac{1}{2}\rho_{ij}x^ix^j$$ when ##Tr\rho_{ij}=0##
i.e. ##\phi \to \phi+ \bar \phi## where ##\phi## describes the classical response of the charge distribution at the origin to the external perturbation ##\bar \phi##, and we assume that ##\frac{q^2\lambda^2}{Q^2}\ll1##

I want to calculate the RG flow of the coupling ##Q##,
using Minimal subtraction renormalization scheme and dimensional regularization.
Relevant Equations
Euler Lagrange for fields:
$$\frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial \phi}=\partial_{\mu}(\frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial _{\mu}\phi)})$$

dimensional regularization:
we put $$2\epsilon=d-4$$ when d is the dimension , solving divergent integrals by expanding to small ##\epsilon## and then as we approach to final result we take ##\epsilon \to 0##

Minimal subtraction renormalization scheme:
defining new couplings using the old ones in way that they cancel divergent part of the solution.

RG flow:
the flow of the coupling constant in the dependence of energy scale ##\mu## given by the beta function ##\beta(Q)=\mu \frac{\partial Q}{\partial \mu}##
I tried to do a Euler Lagrange equation to our Lagrangian:
$$\frac{S_\text{eff}}{T}=\int d^6x\left[(\nabla \phi)^2+(\nabla \sigma)^2+\lambda\sigma (\nabla \phi)^2\right]+\frac{S_{p.p}}{T}$$
and then I would like to solve the equation using perturbation theory when ##Q## or somehow $$\frac{q^2\lambda^2}{Q^2}\ll1$$ but when itried to do the equation I got that is not depend on Q at all because the relevant term in $$S_{p.p}$$ is just derivatives of the field $\phi$ in the point zero (so its acting like constant) or am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
A:To do the Euler-Lagrange equation, you need to take derivative of the action with respect to the respective fields. The only term containing $\lambda$ is the second one, so we will concentrate there. $$\delta S = \int d^6x \left[2\lambda \sigma \nabla \cdot \phi \delta \nabla \phi + \lambda \sigma (\nabla \phi)^2 \delta \sigma \right]$$We can use integration by parts on the first term and use the fact that the field is periodic to obtain$$\delta S = \int d^6x \left[-2\lambda \phi \nabla \cdot \sigma \delta \nabla \phi + \lambda \sigma (\nabla \phi)^2 \delta \sigma \right]$$Integrating the first term by parts again, and using periodicity of the field again, we obtain$$\delta S = \int d^6x \left[2\lambda \phi \nabla^2 \sigma \delta \phi + \lambda \sigma (\nabla \phi)^2 \delta \sigma \right]$$The Euler-Lagrange equation then is$$\nabla^2 \sigma = 0$$$$\nabla^2 \phi - \lambda \sigma (\nabla \phi)^2 = 0$$These equations are independent of $Q$.

1. What is RG flow in the context of quadrupole coupling in 6+1 dimension electrostatic problem?

RG (renormalization group) flow refers to the evolution of physical parameters at different length scales in a system. In the context of quadrupole coupling in 6+1 dimension electrostatic problem, RG flow describes how the coupling strength between the quadrupole moment and the electric field changes as the system is probed at different length scales.

2. Why is RG flow important in studying quadrupole coupling in 6+1 dimension electrostatic problem?

RG flow is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the system at different length scales. In the case of quadrupole coupling in 6+1 dimension electrostatic problem, it can reveal the critical behavior of the system and provide insights into the underlying physics.

3. How is RG flow calculated in the context of quadrupole coupling in 6+1 dimension electrostatic problem?

RG flow is typically calculated using the renormalization group equations, which describe how physical parameters change as the length scale is varied. In the context of quadrupole coupling in 6+1 dimension electrostatic problem, these equations can be solved numerically to determine the RG flow.

4. What factors affect the RG flow of quadrupole coupling in 6+1 dimension electrostatic problem?

The RG flow of quadrupole coupling in 6+1 dimension electrostatic problem is affected by various factors, including the dimensionality of the system, the strength of the electric field, and the temperature. These factors can all influence the critical behavior of the system and thus impact the RG flow.

5. How does RG flow of quadrupole coupling in 6+1 dimension electrostatic problem relate to other physical phenomena?

RG flow is a universal concept in physics and can be applied to various systems and phenomena. In the context of quadrupole coupling in 6+1 dimension electrostatic problem, the RG flow may have similarities to other critical phenomena, such as phase transitions, and can provide insights into the underlying physical mechanisms at play.