Spivak Calculus- Chapter 1, Q1(v)

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove the equation xn-yn= (x-y)(xn-1+xn-2y+ … + xyn-2+yn-1). The person asking for help has attempted to substitute a number for n and expand the equation, but is stuck. They are also seeking advice on improving their math and physics skills for a potential masters in physical oceanography. The conversation also includes a clarification on the meaning of "..." and a suggestion to expand the equation to notice patterns and cancel out terms.
MathsLearner

Homework Statement

Prove the following:
xn-yn= (x-y)(xn-1+xn-2y+ … + xyn-2+yn-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

What do the 3 full stops (...) mean?
I didnt know where to start, so I tried to subsitute a number for n, I said n=5, I then multiplied out the brackets and removed terms that were canceled out through opposite signs. This leaves me with:

= x5+x2y3-x3y2-y5

and from there I am stuck.

extra - ANY ADVICE?

I am from the UK, I have finished my undergraduate degree in Ocean Science where we used equations but did not have to derive them and am looking to take a masters in physical oceanography. I have not studied maths since GCSE, and to do the masters I need to know calculus and physics. I looked into taking courses but could not find any suitable for me to do within a few months.

I have University Calculus (Hass,Weir & Thomas) and University Physics (Young and Freedman) which were bought for me by my professor who has encouraged me to improve my maths and physics because he thinks I am capable of doing well in physical oceanography. In addition I have bought Spivaks Calculus book after reading the reviews online and have just started with the 1st chapter.

Does anyone have any advice for me as I am starting out?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
the "..." just means there are other terms, if you notice it is following a pattern.

You could just expand it...

(x-y)(xn-1+xn-2y+xn-3y+ … + xyn-2+yn-1) = x( (x-y)(xn-1+xn-2y+xn-3y+ … + xyn-2+yn-1))-y( (x-y)(xn-1+xn-2y+xn-3y+ … + xyn-2+yn-1))

you should notice some things cancel out.

Excellent, thank you!

1. What is Spivak Calculus?

Spivak Calculus is a rigorous and comprehensive textbook that covers the fundamentals of single variable calculus. It is commonly used in undergraduate mathematics courses.

2. What is Chapter 1, Q1(v) about?

Chapter 1, Q1(v) is about the definition of the derivative. Specifically, it asks the reader to find the derivative of a given function using the limit definition.

3. Why is the definition of the derivative important?

The definition of the derivative is important because it is the foundation for understanding the concept of rate of change and slope at a specific point on a curve. It is also used to solve many real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. What is the purpose of Q1(v) in Chapter 1?

The purpose of Q1(v) in Chapter 1 is to introduce the reader to the concept of the derivative and to practice using the limit definition to find derivatives of simple functions. It also sets the stage for more complex applications of derivatives later in the chapter.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Chapter 1, Q1(v)?

To improve your understanding of Chapter 1, Q1(v), it is helpful to review the basic concepts of limits and algebraic manipulation, as well as to practice solving similar problems. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can provide further clarification and guidance.