1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spivak Calculus- Chapter 1, Q1(v)

1. Oct 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove the following:
    xn-yn= (x-y)(xn-1+xn-2y+ … + xyn-2+yn-1)

3. The attempt at a solution

What do the 3 full stops (...) mean?
    I didnt know where to start, so I tried to subsitute a number for n, I said n=5, I then multiplied out the brackets and removed terms that were cancelled out through opposite signs. This leaves me with:

= x5+x2y3-x3y2-y5

and from there I am stuck.

extra - ANY ADVICE?

I am from the UK, I have finished my undergraduate degree in Ocean Science where we used equations but did not have to derive them and am looking to take a masters in physical oceanography. I have not studied maths since GCSE, and to do the masters I need to know calculus and physics. I looked into taking courses but could not find any suitable for me to do within a few months.

I have University Calculus (Hass,Weir & Thomas) and University Physics (Young and Freedman) which were bought for me by my professor who has encouraged me to improve my maths and physics because he thinks I am capable of doing well in physical oceanography. In addition I have bought Spivaks Calculus book after reading the reviews online and have just started with the 1st chapter.

Does anyone have any advice for me as I am starting out?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

the "..." just means there are other terms, if you notice it is following a pattern.

You could just expand it....

(x-y)(xn-1+xn-2y+xn-3y+ … + xyn-2+yn-1) = x( (x-y)(xn-1+xn-2y+xn-3y+ … + xyn-2+yn-1))-y( (x-y)(xn-1+xn-2y+xn-3y+ … + xyn-2+yn-1))

you should notice some things cancel out.

4. Oct 15, 2009 #3
    Excellent, thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook