Proofing Calculus 1: Prove (-1)*a=-a

• Thread starter SarRis
  • Start date
In summary: This is not quite right. You can't immediately equate ##(-1) + a## to ##0##. Instead, what I did was:$$(-1).a + a = (-1).a...$$
SarRis
Homework Statement
Prove that (-1)*a=-a
Relevant Equations
/
Hello! So I just started calculus 1 at my university and I have a problem with proofs since I haven't done them ever before. It would be great if you could help me with this question and give me a few advice on how to approach proofs (books/your personal tips/whatever you remember).
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

What have you covered in class so far? Do you have some axioms that you can use for this proof? You must have been taught something that can be applied here, no?

Likes SarRis
:welcome:

According to the homework guidelines you have to make a good attempt at this yourself.

For a proof like this you must rely on how things are defined precisely. In anything but a rigorous algebra course, it would be taken for granted that ##(-1)a = -a##. So, you are going to have to figure out what those two sides of the equation actually mean before you can show that they are equal.

Likes SarRis
So before this problem, we had two lessons. Defining the set of real numbers (axiomatic aproach). We defined binary oprations +,-, *, : and binary relations <, >, <=, >=. Also commutativity, associativity, identity element, inverse element. (I hope I explained well, English is not my mother tongue)
Why I did not write out my attempt at this problem is because I am just starting with proofs and I actually don't know how to approach them at all.
Thank you for understanding.

SarRis said:
So before this problem, we had two lessons. Defining the set of real numbers (axiomatic aproach). We defined binary oprations +,-, *, : and binary relations <, >, <=, >=. Also commutativity, associativity, identity element, inverse element. (I hope I explained well, English is not my mother tongue)
Why I did not write out my attempt at this problem is because I am just starting with proofs and I actually don't know how to approach them at all.
Thank you for understanding.
What is ##-a##? How would you define/describe that? And don't say "negative ##a##"!

PeroK said:
What is ##-a##? How would you define/describe that? And don't say "negative ##a##"!
So based on what we did before. I would say that -a is the inverse element of a.
Maybe the approach is to prove that (-1)a is the inverse element of a.

Likes PeroK
SarRis said:
So based on what we did before. I would say that -a is the inverse element of a.
Maybe the approach is to prove that (-1)a is the inverse element of a.
It's better to say the additive inverse of ##a##. As opposed to the multiplicative inverse. And, yes, that's the right approach. What happens if you calculate ##a + (-1)a##?

PeroK said:
It's better to say the additive inverse of ##a##. As opposed to the multiplicative inverse. And, yes, that's the right approach. What happens if you calculate ##a + (-1)a##?
You get the (additive?) identity/ neutral element. Zero 0.

SarRis said:
You get the (additive?) identity/ neutral element. Zero 0.
Yes, but that has to be proved step by step. Welcome to pure maths!

Hint: what law relates to both addition and multiplication?

Likes SarRis
Thank you!
The law that relates to both addition and multiplication is commutativity.
So is it, just by adding the (-1)a and a, and getting the neutral element 0. We prove that (-1)a is the inverse element of a? Like this.
(-1)a + a = a + (-1)a = 0

SarRis said:
Thank you!
So is it, just by adding the (-1)a and a, and getting the neutral element 0. We prove that (-1)a is the inverse element of a? Like this.
Not quite. I meant the distributive law. I took four steps to show that ##(-1)a + a = 0##.

And, I used two results which I assume you have covered: that ##a.0 = 0## and the uniqueness of the additive inverse.

Likes SarRis
We did cover that a*0=0 and the uniqueness of the additive inverse.
Is it (-1)a + a = 0
a(-1 + 1) = 0
a*0=0
We actually didn't cover the distributive law before this. Although I know that a*(b+c)=a*b + a*c (from left and right both)

No we did! Sorry! Oh now I see!

Thank you very much! I had a small eureka moment :)

Likes docnet
SarRis said:
We did cover that a*0=0 and the uniqueness of the additive inverse.
Is it (-1)a + a = 0
a(-1 + 1) = 0
a*0=0
We actually didn't cover the distributive law before this. Although I know that a*(b+c)=a*b + a*c (from left and right both)
This is not quite right. You can't immediately equate ##(-1) + a## to ##0##. Instead, what I did was:
$$(-1).a + a = (-1).a + 1.a = (-1 + 1).a = 0.a = 0$$
From which we conclude that ##(-1).a = -a##. Note that you could prove this last step by adding ##-a## to both sides of the equation and using the associative law. That might be a good exercise.

Likes docnet and SarRis
Thank you once again!

SarRis said:
Thank you!
Consider the Distributive law of addition with respect to product.

1. What is proofing calculus?

Proofing calculus is a method used in mathematics to provide logical and rigorous evidence for the validity of a statement or theorem. It involves using mathematical principles and rules to show that a statement is true.

2. Why is it important to prove (-1)*a=-a in calculus?

Proving (-1)*a=-a is important in calculus because it is a fundamental property that is used in many mathematical operations. It serves as a foundation for understanding more complex concepts and allows for the development of new theorems and formulas.

3. How do you prove (-1)*a=-a in calculus?

To prove (-1)*a=-a in calculus, we can use the distributive property of multiplication. First, we can write (-1)*a as (-1)*a+0. Then, using the distributive property, we can rewrite this as (-1)*a+(-1)*0. Since any number multiplied by 0 is equal to 0, we can simplify this to (-1)*a+0. Finally, using the additive inverse property, we know that any number added to its opposite is equal to 0. Therefore, (-1)*a+0=0, which can be rewritten as (-1)*a=-a.

4. What are some real-world applications of proving (-1)*a=-a in calculus?

Proving (-1)*a=-a in calculus has many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It is used in vector operations, such as finding the magnitude and direction of a force, as well as in solving equations involving negative quantities.

5. Are there any other properties related to (-1)*a=-a in calculus?

Yes, there are several other properties related to (-1)*a=-a in calculus. These include the commutative property, which states that changing the order of multiplication does not change the result, and the associative property, which states that the grouping of numbers in multiplication does not change the result. Additionally, the property of 1 states that any number multiplied by 1 is equal to itself.