1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Splitting a function into odd and even parts

1. Mar 30, 2012 #1
    Hi, i've been looking at Fourier transforms, odd and even functions and such recently. But i'm a little confused about how exactly you split a function up. I know the general forumla and seen the derivation, however when i do it with a proper function i never seem to get the correct answer. Was hoping someone might be able to illustrate with the following example how they obtained the final answer, explaining while going would be a huge benefit and i'm grateful for any guidance that can be offered.

For example;

Split the function f(x) = (1 + x) e^
    x
    into odd and even parts. Express your result in
    terms of x, cosh x and sinh x.

The general forumla from the Mary boas Maths/Physics book;

f(x) = ((f(x) + f(-x))/2) + ((f(x)-f(-x))/2)

Thanks again.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2012 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

try it on e^x, and then on xe^x. the second one should be pretty easy after doing the first one (why?).

and try e^(ix), since presumably you know that answer.

4. Mar 30, 2012 #3
    Just to check. When i'm using that general formula where it says f(x) do i just plug the function? and where it is f(-x) plug but changing the x's and see what it forms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook