Splitting H atom = High energy?

In summary, it seems that the energy released from nuclear fusion comes from the strong nuclear force.
htyj6g9jv1ev6
Hydrogen Fusion = High energy?

Where does the energy come from when a Hydrogen atom is fused?

Is the energy stored in some part (proton, neutron, electron)?

Thank you if someone can give me some idea about this. I guess it is about the strong nuclear force, but I'd like to know in a bit more detail if possible. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
htyj6g9jv1ev6 said:
Where does the energy come from when a Hydrogen atom is split?

Is the energy stored in some part (proton, neutron, electron)?

It seems it takes almost no energy to form a Hydrogen atom? Yet, when it breaks apart, it unleashes an untold amount of energy?

Thank you if someone can give me some idea about this. I guess it is about the strong nuclear force, but I'd like to know in a bit more detail if possible. :)

Where exactly did you read about this "hydrogen atom split"?

Typically, it is heavy nuclei, such as uranium, plutonium, etc. that undergoes splitting that releases energy. Light nuclei, such as hydrogen, deuterium, etc. fuse (i.e. undergo fusion) to release energy. To "split" protons (i.e. H atom nucleus) requires external energy from somewhere, such as that done at the LHC and the Tevatron. In other words, it takes energy to do this, not energy from the nuclei themselves.

I'm guessing there's a considerable level of confusion here that resulted in this question.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Where exactly did you read about this "hydrogen atom split"?

Typically, it is heavy nuclei, such as uranium, plutonium, etc. that undergoes splitting that releases energy. Light nuclei, such as hydrogen, deuterium, etc. fuse (i.e. undergo fusion) to release energy. To "split" protons (i.e. H atom nucleus) requires external energy from somewhere, such as that done at the LHC and the Tevatron. In other words, it takes energy to do this, not energy from the nuclei themselves.

I'm guessing there's a considerable level of confusion here that resulted in this question.

Zz.

Ah yes. I am confused. I saw it on a TV documentary, but I remembered incorrectly.

Maybe my question should be rephrased:
Where does the tremendous energy come from when Hydrogen undergoes nuclear fusion?

I just do not understand how large quantities of energy are produced from this.

Take two magnets. Move them near each other. Watch them snap together. Where did the energy for the snap come from? It's not really in magnets themselves, but rather in magnetic field. Something very similar happens in fusion, except the forces involved are strong nuclear forces.

htyj6g9jv1ev6 said:
Ah yes. I am confused. I saw it on a TV documentary, but I remembered incorrectly.

Maybe my question should be rephrased:
Where does the tremendous energy come from when Hydrogen undergoes nuclear fusion?

I just do not understand how large quantities of energy are produced from this.

This introductory article on Nuclear Binding Energy should help you out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_binding_energy

1. What is "splitting H atom = High energy"?

"Splitting H atom = High energy" refers to the process of breaking apart a hydrogen atom into its constituent parts, which releases a large amount of energy.

2. How is a hydrogen atom split?

A hydrogen atom is typically split through a process called nuclear fission, in which the atom's nucleus is split into two smaller nuclei. This can occur naturally or artificially through various methods.

3. What kind of energy is released when a hydrogen atom is split?

The energy released when a hydrogen atom is split is in the form of radiation, such as gamma rays, and kinetic energy from the fragments of the atom.

4. What is the significance of splitting hydrogen atoms?

Splitting hydrogen atoms is significant because it is one of the primary ways in which nuclear energy is harnessed. This energy can be used to power electricity, heat homes, and fuel transportation.

5. Are there any risks associated with splitting hydrogen atoms?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with splitting hydrogen atoms, such as the release of radiation and the production of radioactive waste. These risks must be carefully managed and monitored in order to ensure safe and responsible use of nuclear energy.