Splitting the tim eindependent schroedinger equation

• Thread starter Mechdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Splitting
In summary: V(x,y,z) In summary, the student is trying to solve the time independent Schroedinger equation. They first need to understand the potential for the three dimensional harmonic oscillator. From there, they can substitute in the potential for the Schroedinger equation.
Mechdude
splitting the time independent schroedinger equation

Homework Statement

how would i go about splitting the time independent Schroedinger equation into 3 separate 1-D problems of the main 3-d problem whose total energy is [itex] E = E_x + E_y + E_z [/itex] ?

Homework Equations

[tex] \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{ \partial^2 \Psi(x) }{\partial x^2} + V(x) \Psi (x) = E \Psi(x) [/tex]
assuming:
[tex] \Psi (x) = R(x) S(y) J(z) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i want to assume that V(x) remains a function of x alone and only [itex] \Psi(x) [/itex] is a function of x,y,z , I am i right? and further more what do i do to the expression to show that the variables are independent of each other? in solving the heat equation we would differentiate the stuff and find that the two sides were independent (one on time the other on position) is that what is done here? or is there some analogous way to do that?

EDIT:

sorry about the [itex] \Psi (x) [/tex] it should be [itex] \Psi (r) [/itex]

from the defenition of [itex] \nabla^2 [/itex] and separating the solution into a product of three functions R(x)S(y)J(z) :

this is what i get as the equation in cartesian coordinates,
[tex] \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} \left[ S(y) J(z) \frac {\partial^2 R(x)}{\partial x^2} + R(x)J(z) \frac {\partial^2 S(y)}{\partial y^2} + R(x)S(y) \frac{\partial^2 J (z) }{\partial z^2} + V(r) R(x)S(y)J(z) = E R(x)S(y)J(z) \right] [/tex]
dividing through by R(x) S(y) J(z) and multiplying by [itex] \frac{-2m}{\hbar} [/itex]
[tex] \left[ \frac{ \partial^2 R(x}{R(x) \partial x^2} + \frac{ \partial^2 S(y)}{S(y) \partial y^2} + \frac { \partial^2 J(z) }{ J(z) \partial z^2} \right] -\frac{2m V(r)}{\hbar^2} = -\frac{E 2m}{\hbar^2} [/tex]

im stuck from here on how to show that it can be separated into two separate independent variables and equation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need the potential to be of the form V(x,y,z)=Vx(x)+Vy(y)+Vz(z), e.g., the potential for the three-dimensional harmonic oscillator is V(x,y,z)=(k/2)(x2+y2+z2). Then you can rewrite the equation into three pieces, each depending on only one variable.

thanks vela , now if i modify it , what actually inspires the spit into separate equations? is it because the x ,y and z are not dependent on each other?
[tex]
\left[ \frac{ \partial^2 R(x}{R(x) \partial x^2} + \frac{ \partial^2 S(y)}{S(y) \partial y^2} + \frac { \partial^2 J(z) }{ J(z) \partial z^2} \right] -\frac{2m V_x (x) V_y (y) V_z (z)}{\hbar^2} = -\frac{E 2m}{\hbar^2}
[/tex]

Reread what I wrote about the form of the potential more carefully.

let me give it one more try:
is this what you meant,
[tex]

\left[ \frac{ \partial^2 R(x}{R(x) \partial x^2} + \frac{ \partial^2 S(y)}{S(y) \partial y^2} + \frac { \partial^2 J(z) }{ J(z) \partial z^2} \right] -\frac{2m (V_x (x) + V_y (y) +V_z (z))}{\hbar^2} = -\frac{E 2m}{\hbar^2}

[/tex]

if that's what you meant ,then its my bad, i did not read you post carefully.

1. What is the time-independent Schrödinger equation?

The time-independent Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a quantum system in terms of its wave function. It is written as HΨ = EΨ, where H is the Hamiltonian operator, Ψ is the wave function, and E is the energy of the system.

2. Why is the time-independent Schrödinger equation important?

The time-independent Schrödinger equation is important because it allows us to calculate the allowed energy levels and corresponding wave functions of a quantum system. This information is crucial for understanding the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems.

3. What is the difference between the time-dependent and time-independent Schrödinger equations?

The time-dependent Schrödinger equation describes the evolution of a quantum system over time, while the time-independent Schrödinger equation describes the stationary states of the system where the energy does not change. The time-independent equation is a special case of the time-dependent equation when the energy is constant.

4. How is the time-independent Schrödinger equation solved?

The time-independent Schrödinger equation is typically solved using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or perturbation theory. These methods allow us to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian operator, which correspond to the energy levels and wave functions of the system.

5. What are some applications of the time-independent Schrödinger equation?

The time-independent Schrödinger equation has many practical applications in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and quantum computing. It is used to model and understand the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems, and has led to important discoveries and advancements in these fields.