Spring Compression on an incline

So you correctly have 11*9.81*sin(30)*4. On the right side you have the energy stored in the spring plus the energy stored in the box at the point of maximum compression.In summary, using the equations for spring and gravity potential energy, the maximum compression of the spring when a 11kg box slides down a frictionless ramp with an incline of 30o to the horizontal and collides with a spring of spring constant 190 N/m is 0.56795 m. Part b of the problem is not yet solved.
luvey

Homework Statement

A 11kg box slides 4.0m down the frictionless ramp which has an incline of 30o to the horizontal, then collides with a spring whose spring constant is 190 N/m.

a.What is the maximum compression of the spring?
b.At what compression of the spring does the box have its maximum speed?

Homework Equations

Spring: PE=1/2*k([tex]\Delta[/tex]s)2
Gravity: PE=mgsin([tex]\theta[/tex])d
PEspring initial+PEgravity initial=PEspring final+PEgravity final

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plugging in the numbers which gave me:
0+11*9.81*sin(30)*4=1/2*190([tex]\Delta[/tex]s)2+11*9.81*sin(30)*(4+[tex]\Delta[/tex]s)
Which gave me the max compression of 0.56795 m

I haven't made it to part b yet because I can't seem to obtain the max compression.

Physics news on Phys.org
luvey said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plugging in the numbers which gave me:
0+11*9.81*sin(30)*4=1/2*190([tex]\Delta[/tex]s)2+11*9.81*sin(30)*(4+[tex]\Delta[/tex]s)
Which gave me the max compression of 0.56795 m

I haven't made it to part b yet because I can't seem to obtain the max compression.

You do not need the extra 11*9.81*sin(30) on the right side.

The left side is the initial energy which when it reaches the spring is being entirely stored as elastic potential energy.

What is spring compression on an incline?

Spring compression on an incline refers to the measurement of how much a spring is compressed when placed at an angle on a surface, rather than being placed horizontally.

Why is it important to study spring compression on an incline?

Studying spring compression on an incline allows scientists to understand the effects of gravity on the compression of springs, which can be useful in various engineering and mechanical applications.

How is the compression of a spring affected by the angle of the incline?

The greater the angle of the incline, the greater the force of gravity acting on the spring, resulting in a larger compression of the spring.

What factors can affect spring compression on an incline?

The angle of the incline, the mass of the object placed on the spring, and the spring constant are all factors that can affect spring compression on an incline.

How is spring compression on an incline measured?

Spring compression on an incline can be measured by using a ruler or measuring tape to determine the distance between the top and bottom of the spring when it is placed on an incline, and then comparing it to the uncompressed length of the spring.