Block moves down incline, hits spring, find spring constant

In summary, the problem involves a block initially at rest sliding down a ramp and compressing a spring by 0.03 m. The given information includes the angle of the ramp (30 degrees), the length of the ramp (1.25 m), the mass of the block (2 kg), and the compression of the spring (0.03 m). The task is to write expressions for the initial and final energy states and to find the spring constant K using the equation mgh = 0.5kx^2. The approach involves setting the initial potential energy (mgh) equal to the final potential energy (0.5kx^2) and solving for K. It should be noted that the block comes to rest
jybe
2018-04-06.png

Homework Statement

[/B]
The block, initially at rest, slides down the ramp and compresses the spring 0.03 m.

Theta = 30 degrees
L = 1.25 m
M of block = 2 kg
Δx = 0.03 m

1) Write the expression for the initial and final energy states

2) Find the spring constant K

Homework Equations

mgh = 0.5kx2

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I say that when the block compresses the spring and comes to rest, h=0, in which case I wouldn't have to include mgh on the right hand side of the energy equation?

mg(L*sin theta) = 0.5*k*(x2) and solve for k...

This seems too easy, am I approaching this wrong?

Attachments

• 2018-04-06.png
    2018-04-06.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 1,680
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me!

I would clarify. Is it saying it comes to rest at Δx, or is it saying that Δx is the maximum compression (more likely scenario)? What do you expect is going to happen from your real life experiences?

It appears you are saying, it "just" is at rest there (before it recoils), so kinetic energy is zero right at that point.

scottdave said:
Is it saying it comes to rest at Δx, or is it saying that Δx is the maximum compression (more likely scenario)?
While it never hurts to ask for clarification, the point of max compression is when it comes to rest (momentarily). That's what I assumed was being described.

Likes scottdave

1. What is a block move down incline?

A block move down incline is a physics problem that involves a block sliding down an inclined plane due to the force of gravity.

2. How does the block hitting a spring affect the problem?

When the block hits the spring, it causes the spring to compress and store potential energy.

3. What is the spring constant?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring, and it determines the force needed to stretch or compress the spring a certain distance.

4. How is the spring constant calculated in this problem?

In this problem, the spring constant can be determined by dividing the force exerted on the spring by the distance the spring is compressed.

5. What factors can affect the calculated spring constant?

The calculated spring constant can be affected by factors such as the mass of the block, the angle of the incline, and friction between the block and the incline.