1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring constant, should be easy?

1. Nov 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spring is suspended vertically parallel to a meterstick. When a 170-g mass is attached to the bottom of the spring, the spring stretches until its bottom is adjacent to the 80-cm mark on the meterstick. When a 760-g mass is then used to replace the 170-g mass, the bottom of the spring is measured to be at the 30-cm mark. Based on these measurements, the value of the spring constant is

2. Relevant equations
    k=mg/x

3. The attempt at a solution
    Seemed simple enough, (0.17*9.8)/.2 = 8.33 N/m
    then (0.76*9.8)/.7=10.64 N/m

But neither of these are correct, and if i take the sum of the masses and distance i get:
    (.93*9.8)/0.9=10.126~

None of these can possibly be the correct answer.. and im sort of lost =/

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2007 #2
    New question: A spring is suspended vertically parallel to a meterstick. When a 130-g mass is attached to the bottom of the spring, the spring stretches until its bottom is adjacent to the 20-cm mark on the meterstick. Based on this measurement, the value of the spring constant is
    6.37 kg/s2.
    637 kg/s2.
    0.00637 kg/s2.
    unknown.
    0.650 kg/s2.
    ---------------------
    Where i thought it was 6.37; apparantly it is unknown because you dont know that the spring's bottom was at 0cm when it started =/ Still not sure how it will help me with the first one though [the first question doesnt state that either]

4. Nov 14, 2007 #3
    For the first one:

Take the two points (use the weight) and plot them on a graph..... your gradient is the spring constant.

Alternatively k = (m2 - m1)g / (x2 - x1)

5. Nov 14, 2007 #4
    Ugh, so it was the difference in the mass and distance; no idea why i took the sum. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?