Spring scale reading for a 80 kg person on a circular cart

  • Thread starter Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Centripetal Forces
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
UrbanXrisis
Messages
1,192
Reaction score
1
Lets say there was a poll in the middle of the ground and a 2m rope attached to it. Attached to the rope was a cart that sat a 80kg person. The person had a constant force being exerted on them so they the person went in a circle. There is a spring scale attached to the rope and poll to show the spring scale force. What would be the relationship between this spring scale force and the centripetal force?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the cart massless? Is there an angle between the ground and the rope?
 
massless cart, parallel between ground and rope
 
actually, I think I am supposed to find the relationship between the centripetal force and v^2/r
 
Well, if that's the case, then you know [tex]v^2/r[/tex] is equal to the centripetal acceleration. By Newton's Second Law, you know that [tex]F=ma[/tex]. That should be enough for you to finish the problem on your own.
 
I need to plot a graph of (v^2/r) vs Centripetal force. There is a linear relationship, why is that?
 
maybe it's just me, but I understand all these concepts already. However, it might just be the way the question is worded. All that's different between v^2/r and the centripetal force is that the centripetal force has a mass multiplied into it. The problem asks for is the "functional relationship." Cf=v^2/r times the mass. I thought it was asking for something more than that
 
Its the same as asking you to plot F vs a, a is just determined differently in this case.
 
UrbanXrisis said:
I need to plot a graph of (v^2/r) vs Centripetal force. There is a linear relationship, why is that?

You know that C = m v^2/r. Let C = y and v^2/r = x, then the law becomes

y = mx

This is a line, of course, with slope m. The centripetal force is linear in (v^2/r).