How much ice to float a 80 Kg person

• Thread starter iceman_ch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Float Ice
In summary, to find the volume of the smallest block of ice that can carry a person of mass 80 kg while floating on salt water, the equation F_b=P_f*V_f*G is used. Using the weight of the person (784 N) for F_b and the density of salt water (1025) for P_f, the volume of the ice is calculated to be 0.078 m^3. However, to account for the weight of the ice itself, the equation is modified to include the weight of the ice on the left side and the weight of water displaced on the right side. This results in a canceled out equation, indicating that there is no specific volume of ice that can carry the person while floating
iceman_ch

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the smallest block of ice which when floating on salt water will carry a person of mass 80 Kg

Densities:

Salt Water = 1025
Ice = 917

Homework Equations

F_b=P_f * V_f * G

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured F_b would have to be equal to the force of the person down which is equal to 784 N. Then plugging that into the equation and solving for V_f I get .078. I used the Salt Water for P_f. Is there somewhere that I need to plug in Ice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget the weight of the ice...:wink:

ok so I tried to add the weight of ice in here is what I get.

like before I have the equation.

W_p * G = 784

This is the force of the pearson. Next I have

784 = Volume of the ice * Density of water * Gravity

Then to add in the weight of ice I do this.

Volume of the ice * Density of Ice * Gravity + 784 = Volume of ice * density of water * gravity

This makes an equation has everything cancel out.
What am I doing wrong?

iceman_ch said:
ok so I tried to add the weight of ice in here is what I get.

like before I have the equation.

W_p * G = 784

This is the force of the pearson. Next I have

784 = Volume of the ice * Density of water * Gravity

Then to add in the weight of ice I do this.

Volume of the ice * Density of Ice * Gravity + 784 = Volume of ice * density of water * gravity

This makes an equation has everything cancel out.
What am I doing wrong?

(vol ice*(density ice)+m)g=volume ice(density SALT water)*g Now the question is ice salty? I think not. On the left hand side we have the total weight of the ice plus man, on the right the weight of water displaced.

What is the concept behind determining how much ice is needed to float an 80 Kg person?

The concept is based on the principle of buoyancy, which states that an object will float if the weight of the displaced water is equal to or greater than the weight of the object.

What is the density of ice and water?

The density of ice is approximately 917 kg/m3, while the density of water is approximately 1000 kg/m3.

How can the buoyancy equation be applied to determine the amount of ice needed to float an 80 Kg person?

The buoyancy equation states that the weight of the displaced water is equal to the weight of the object. In this case, the weight of the 80 Kg person must be equal to the weight of the displaced ice and water. By rearranging the equation, we can calculate the volume of ice needed to displace an 80 Kg person.

How can the volume of ice needed be converted to the amount of ice in kilograms?

The volume of ice needed can be converted to kilograms by multiplying it by the density of ice. This will give us the mass of ice needed to displace an 80 Kg person.

Is there any other factor that needs to be considered when determining the amount of ice needed to float an 80 Kg person?

The volume of ice needed may also be affected by the temperature of the water. As the temperature decreases, the density of water increases, meaning more ice will be needed to displace an 80 Kg person. Additionally, the shape and size of the ice can also affect the amount needed, as larger and flatter pieces of ice will displace more water than smaller and more rounded pieces.