1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Square of Dirac delta function

1. Jun 8, 2017 #1
    Is the square of a Dirac delta function, ##(\delta(x))^2##, still a Dirac delta function, ##\delta(x)##?

A Dirac delta function peaks at one value of ##x##, say 0. If it is squared, it still peaks at the same value, so it seems like the squared Dirac delta function is still a Dirac delta function, ##\delta(x)##, or some multiple of it, ##k\delta(x)##, where ##k>1##, since the area under graph seems larger.

How about the square root of a Dirac delta function?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2017 #2

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is something totally different than just multiplying by a constant.One thing to think about. The Del function is sometimes described as a rectangle of width d, and height (1/d) then take the limit as d->0. (so height approaches infinity)
    At all values of d, you get an area of (d/d) = 1. But if you have (Del)^2, the width is essentially the same as Del, but the height is infinity^2 ?

WolframAlpha produced a surprising result for this. http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(DiracDelta[t])*(DiracDelta[t])

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  4. Jun 8, 2017 #3

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Dirac delta "function" is defined by its behavior inside an integral: ∫f(x)δ(x)dx = f(0). It is a generalized function, not a function.
    I think that your comment about an increased area of δ2 is confusing the delta function with an approximation of the δ function.
    One approach to multiplying generalized functions is to separate them into their "smooth" and "singular" parts. In that, δ(x)2 = 0. (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalized_function#Algebras_of_generalized_functions)

5. Jun 10, 2017 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted