Srednicki 9.17, 9.18: Sum of Diagrams with Single Source Removed

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter kexue
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Srednicki
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
kexue
Messages
195
Reaction score
2
Why is the expression 9.17 the sum of all diagrams with a single source removed?

I thought diagrams stand for terms in double taylor expansion of Z_1(J).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The expression in 9.17 is

[tex]{\delta\over\delta J(x)}Z_1(J)\Bigr|_{J=0}[/tex]

The derivative with respect to J removes one factor of J, and then all other factors of J are set to zero. So the only surviving diagrams are those that had just one J to begin with.
 
Thanks, Avodyne!

Actually, when I stared at it again this morning, I already figured it out by myself.

How come your such an expert on Srednick's book? Always when someone ask a question to his book, you give the answer right away. I remember you gave me great answers like one year back ago, which i have written as side notes in the book.
 
kexue said:
How come your such an expert on Srednick's book? Always when someone ask a question to his book, you give the answer right away. I remember you gave me great answers like one year back ago, which i have written as side notes in the book.
Srednicki had posted rough drafts of Spin Zero and Spin One Half at arxiv.org in 2004, and I thought they were much better than the existing textbooks, so by now I know the material pretty well.