1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stable points of a particle in a 2d potential field.

1. Aug 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let a particle of mass m moving in 2d space in a potential V (x, y) = -1/2 kx2 + 1/2 λ0 x2y2 + 1/4λ1x where k,λ01 > 0.At what point (x0, y0) is the particle in stable equilibrium? 2 marks

2. Relevant equations
    ∂V/∂x=0 ∂V/∂y=0; ∂2V/∂x2 > 0;∂2V/ ∂y2 > 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    After using relevant equations I get x= λ1/4 (k-y2 λ0)
    and λ0 x2 y =0.
    If I take x or y=0 then the point become unstable.
    Don't know what to do next.The problem however simplifies very much for a 2 mark question if the first term of the potential right side is positive.Does anybody think that it could be a typo error? Or is this problem solvable in the given form?
    If the first term were to be positive then stable point would be (λ1 /4k , 0) .This would satisfy all the conditions.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's funny: I get ## x = {\lambda_1/4 \over k-\lambda_0 y^2}## (but that's probably what you mean, right ?).
    There is no taking x = 0 because it doesn't satisfy that equation. So all that's left is ##y = 0, x = {\lambda_1 \over 4k}## .
    Indeed, at that point the second derivative wrt x is negative, so the answer is: nowhere.

I'm with you is suspecting this is a typo. Ask teacher !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted