Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standard Deviation of a sample of a population's means

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1
    Hey guys,

Just a question which has been puzzling me for some time.

I am told that means of samples of a population can be normally distributed with mean of [tex]\mu[/tex] and with standard deviation of [tex]\sigma[/tex]/[tex]\sqrt{}[/tex]n

Can someone please explain to me how the standard deviation is derived or is it ismply as a result of experimentation?

Thanks,
    Oscar

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2008 #2

ssd

It is derived. The given result follows if the population is normal.

4. Dec 11, 2008 #3

statdad

Homework Helper

The mean is

[tex]
    \overline X = \frac{\sum X}{n}
    [/tex]

If all of the [tex] X [/tex] variables are independent, and identically distributed, then

[tex]
    Var[X] = Var\left(\frac{\sum X}n\right) = \frac 1 {n^2} \sum Var(X) = \frac{n\sigma^2}{n^2} = \frac{\sigma} n
    [/tex]

so the standard deviation is as you state.

If the [tex] X [/tex] values are themselves normally distributed, then the mean is as well (linear combinations of normally distributed normal random variables are normal)

If the [tex] X [/tex] values are not normally distributed, the distribution of [tex] \overline X [/tex] is approximately normal if certain conditions are satisfied.

5. Dec 12, 2008 #4

stewartcs

Science Advisor

You forgot the root in the denominator.

CS

6. Dec 12, 2008 #5

statdad

Homework Helper

No, actually I forgot the square in the numerator, since I was writing out the variance. :frown:
    Still a stupid mistake on my part.

The variance is

[tex]
    \frac{\sigma^2} n
    [/tex]

so the standard deviation is

[tex]
    \frac{\sigma}{\sqrt n}
    [/tex]

7. Dec 12, 2008 #6

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Sorry...it appeared as if you were answering the OP's question about the standard deviation directly which is why I assumed you had finished the derivation all the way out to the standard deviation and not just the variance.

CS

8. Dec 12, 2008 #7

statdad

Homework Helper

stewartcs; there is no need for you to apologize and I certainly did not mean to imply (in my earlier post) that there was. I am sorry if it seemed that way.

9. Dec 13, 2008 #8
    Hey guys,

Thanks very much for showing me the derivation - it has helped make things a lot clearer :)

Thanks again,

Oscar

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?