1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standard Deviation of a sample of a population's means

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1
    Hey guys,

Just a question which has been puzzling me for some time.

I am told that means of samples of a population can be normally distributed with mean of [tex]\mu[/tex] and with standard deviation of [tex]\sigma[/tex]/[tex]\sqrt{}[/tex]n

Can someone please explain to me how the standard deviation is derived or is it ismply as a result of experimentation?

Thanks,
    Oscar

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2008 #2

ssd

It is derived. The given result follows if the population is normal.

4. Dec 11, 2008 #3

statdad

Homework Helper

The mean is

[tex]
    \overline X = \frac{\sum X}{n}
    [/tex]

If all of the [tex] X [/tex] variables are independent, and identically distributed, then

[tex]
    Var[X] = Var\left(\frac{\sum X}n\right) = \frac 1 {n^2} \sum Var(X) = \frac{n\sigma^2}{n^2} = \frac{\sigma} n
    [/tex]

so the standard deviation is as you state.

If the [tex] X [/tex] values are themselves normally distributed, then the mean is as well (linear combinations of normally distributed normal random variables are normal)

If the [tex] X [/tex] values are not normally distributed, the distribution of [tex] \overline X [/tex] is approximately normal if certain conditions are satisfied.

5. Dec 12, 2008 #4

stewartcs

Science Advisor

You forgot the root in the denominator.

CS

6. Dec 12, 2008 #5

statdad

Homework Helper

No, actually I forgot the square in the numerator, since I was writing out the variance. :frown:
    Still a stupid mistake on my part.

The variance is

[tex]
    \frac{\sigma^2} n
    [/tex]

so the standard deviation is

[tex]
    \frac{\sigma}{\sqrt n}
    [/tex]

7. Dec 12, 2008 #6

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Sorry...it appeared as if you were answering the OP's question about the standard deviation directly which is why I assumed you had finished the derivation all the way out to the standard deviation and not just the variance.

CS

8. Dec 12, 2008 #7

statdad

Homework Helper

stewartcs; there is no need for you to apologize and I certainly did not mean to imply (in my earlier post) that there was. I am sorry if it seemed that way.

9. Dec 13, 2008 #8
    Hey guys,

Thanks very much for showing me the derivation - it has helped make things a lot clearer :)

Thanks again,

Oscar

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?