1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standard deviation revised by removing a sample

1. Apr 25, 2008 #1
    but only knowing the previous standard deviation, the previous mean (and the sample to be removed).

does anyone know how to do it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Hi cdux,

If I'm understanding the question, I think you would also need to know the original number of samples.
  4. Apr 25, 2008 #3
    this is correct, you need also to know the sample size
  5. May 9, 2008 #4
    I had eventually found equations that would do that (what the OP suggests).
  6. May 9, 2008 #5

Homework Helper

Do you mean you can find the revised standard deviation without knowing how many samples there are to begin with? If so, perhaps I'm misunderstanding your original question. Would you post the equations?
  7. May 9, 2008 #6
    It should be similar to the next to last here:

(after "Similarly for sample standard deviation:")

after working out a new mean by simply "((num_of_samples X old_mean) -removed_value)/(num_of_samples - 1)" it should be possible to work out a new 's' by solving first to find the "old" summation of the squares and then using it as "result of the summation of the squares minus square of the removed value". (because the main problem is that we don't know the individual squares since we don't know the values but we may be able to find their summation)
    Last edited: May 9, 2008
  8. May 10, 2008 #7

Homework Helper

If you know the old standard deviation, old mean, original number of sample, and the sample to remove, it's possible to find the new standard deviation.

There was just some confusion because you did not mention knowing the original number of samples in the problem statement. If you do not know the original number then you cannot determine the new standard deviation.
  9. May 10, 2008 #8
    oh i'm sorry, you're right about that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?