Standard model coupling strengths

In summary, the most accurate values of the standard model coupling strengths at the mass of the Z boson can be found on the Particle Data Group website, specifically in the summary tables. However, the calculation may depend on the renormalisation scheme used.
karnten07
Hi guys,

Where can i find the most up to date (accurate) values of the standard model coupling strengths at the mass of the Z boson? Thanks

Karnten07

Physics news on Phys.org
The particle data group:

http://pdg.lbl.gov/

I think that what you are looking for is in the summary tables.

(for the fine structure constant, see http://pdg.lbl.gov/2008/reviews/rpp2008-rev-phys-constants.pdf )

EDIT: oops, I misread your question: I thought you asked for the standard coupling constant and the mass of the Z boson.

What you ask for can be calculated from them, but you will depend on the exact renormalisation scheme you use (whatever you call 'the fine structure constant at Z mass' depends on your renormalisation scheme).

Hi Karnten07,

You can find the most up-to-date values of the standard model coupling strengths at the mass of the Z boson on the Particle Data Group website. They regularly update their database with the latest experimental results from various experiments, including those at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). The current values for the coupling strengths at the Z boson mass are:

- Electromagnetic coupling constant (α): 1/137.035999084(21)
- Weak isospin coupling constant (g_W): 0.65274(23)
- Weak hypercharge coupling constant (g_Y): 0.35755(23)
- Strong coupling constant (α_s): 0.1181(11)

These values are determined from a combination of experimental measurements and theoretical calculations. It's worth noting that these values may have small uncertainties due to the limitations of our current understanding of the standard model. However, they are considered to be the most accurate values available.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is the Standard Model?

The Standard Model is a theory in particle physics that describes the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern their interactions. It has been extensively tested and is considered to be the most accurate description of the subatomic world.

2. What are coupling strengths in the Standard Model?

Coupling strengths in the Standard Model refer to the strength of the interactions between different particles. These interactions are described by mathematical equations, and the coupling strength determines how likely particles are to interact with each other.

3. How many types of coupling strengths are there in the Standard Model?

There are three types of coupling strengths in the Standard Model: strong, weak, and electromagnetic. These correspond to the three fundamental forces in the Standard Model: the strong nuclear force, the weak nuclear force, and electromagnetism.

4. Are coupling strengths constant or do they change?

Coupling strengths are not constant and can change depending on the energy scale at which particles are interacting. This is known as the running of coupling strengths and is described by the theory of quantum field theory.

5. How do coupling strengths affect particle interactions?

Coupling strengths play a crucial role in determining the probability of particle interactions. The stronger the coupling strength, the more likely particles are to interact with each other. This has important implications for phenomena such as particle decay and scattering processes.