Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Star Trek (2009) - Opens May 8th

1. May 4, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796366/

Double-click to watch the trailer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w4vk5OZmn8

Expectations?

It looks like they use my idea of a reentry suit.

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2009 #2
    I don't know how I feel about 2 hours of CGI. There is one trailer where Kirk stole an old corvette..............I'm thinking to myself, why is he driving a corvette in the future??? It just came off as a cheap, "look its an american car" ploy to get some audience woo hoos.

Speaking of Kirk, did you know shatner has his own youtube page? I was watching them all last night and hes a piece of work!

hqrlkHfRgGQ&feature=channel[/youtube]

4. May 4, 2009 #3
    It may be a recipe for disappointment, but I'm really looking forward to it. I grew up watching Star Trek with Kirk...although this won't be the same, it kind of warms my heart to see a throwback to the old days. The action looks pretty good. I just hope that it has a good plot and acting, which is something that I've been repeatedly disappointed on with the majority of big-ticket movies in the last 5 years

5. May 4, 2009 #4

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"At the Movies" reviewed it on Saturday, and they both liked it (It was the only movie of the 5 that they reviewed, including the new Wolverine film, that they liked.)

Some of the things that they said:

The actors did a good job of capturing the essence of the characters without trying to mimic the original actors.

The story line was engaging and was character driven.

It had a good balance between paying homage to the original while still being accessible to anyone not familiar with the series.

I've heard that other reviews are also positive.

6. May 5, 2009 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

My friends a star trek nerd and might dressed up for it.

Thus I'm currently looking for someone else to go see it with.

7. May 5, 2009 #6
    It would also be hilarious to just dress up and go with him! Once when I was in college my buddies and I decided to go out and see a movie, it was a random forgettable movie having to do with war, and we all dressed up like soldiers and pretended like we were huge fans of the movie..definitely funny and worthwhile :biggrin:

8. May 5, 2009 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

No..

9. May 5, 2009 #8
    First trailer I thought it looked super hokey. Second time watching trailer I think it may be good. At least the trailer music was good!

10. May 5, 2009 #9
    I'm looking forward to it.

11. May 5, 2009 #10

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

I saw the first trailer (where there's the guy welding away) and didn't realize it was a trailer for the Star Trek movie until Leonard Nimoy came on to do the "Space: The final frontier..." bit, and the notes from TOS started playing. I thought it was cool.

12. May 5, 2009 #11
    That trailor kinda put me off too.

13. May 5, 2009 #12

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

The original Star Trek series came out when I was in 8th-10th grades and made a major impression on me. During the past couple of years, I've been watching the remastered version on syndicated TV (I have to record it because my local station shows it at 5 AM :yuck:), bought the remastered DVDs as they came out, and my copy of the Blu-ray version of season 1 arrived yesterday.

But I have to admit I've seen only part of one of the Star Trek movies, the one that shows Scotty (I think) trying to use an early Macintosh computer by picking up the mouse and speaking into it: "Hellooo, computer..." :rofl:

Maybe I'll go see this one, although with some trepidation despite the favorable reviews. I've seen trailers on TV, and the modern-style sets and effects come off (to me) as anachonistically "busy" and glitzy compared to the bare-bones, cheesy sets of the original series. The more I watch the remastered series on DVD and Blu-ray, the more impressed I am with how important lighting effects are, in the scene designs.

14. May 5, 2009 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep! IIRC, that was in The Voyage Home

Another one of my favorites scenes:

Chekov: [to a street cop] Excuse me, sir! Can you direct us to the naval base in Alameda? It's where they keep the nuclear wessels.
    [he pauses, looks at Uhura, and tries again]
    Chekov: NUCLEAR WESSELS...

Back then, the idea of a person with a thick Russian accent asking for the location of the nuclear wessels was classic.

15. May 5, 2009 #14

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I've only gone to the movies twice in the last 10 years. I plan on being in the theater this weekend.

16. May 5, 2009 #15
    Star Trek XII - So Very Tired might be in order here:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  17. May 5, 2009 #16

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's a story that goes with that scene. It was shot with "off the street" extras, who were told to just look at them strangely and move on. One gal got carried away with the moment and actually answered them, Walter's and Nichelle's reactions were ad-lib. It worked so well, they decided to keep it, but then they had to chase down the girl to get her to sign a contract or they would have gotten fined by SAG for not paying a person in a "speaking role" scale.

18. May 5, 2009 #17
    Last edited: May 5, 2009
  19. May 5, 2009 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

20. May 5, 2009 #19
    I saw another clip on the star trek website that made me go uhhhhhhhhhh..........

There is a bar scene where the girl orders two orange bling blang drinks, a tamalian sling slong (or whatever treky sounding word you want to use, I don't care), and give me a Budweiser select........

Way to sell out there Star Trek. Does the Enterprise have a big "Goodyear" sticker on the side too?

I hate blatant advertising in movies for products that really have no business in a movie.

Captain Kurk, what are you doing? Why I'm just brushing my teeth with my favorite toothpase, Colgate. Would you like to join me?

21. May 5, 2009 #20

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook