I've searched for more reviews on youtube because I'm interested in what other people have to say, but I'm sad to see there are many reviews posted which comes up high in the youtube ranking system (see point 1 below) which clearly trashes the movie, judging from the titles of the youtube videos. I think this is partly due to various reasons like
- Dramatic titles and dramatic contents seems to get more views in general.
- It actually seems to be a popular and often occurring thing to trash movies on youtube.
- There are many who were very, very disappointed with The Last Jedi (me included), and this disappointment may have spilled over on The Rise of Skywalker.
Personally, I'm rather fed up with that kind of negative, toxic contents on youtube, so I avoid it as much as I can because I've clearly noticed that it brings my mood down considerably watching such clips. Don't get me wrong, I think fair criticism always is valid and has its place, but some youtubers take it to a whole other unnecessarily toxic level that just is depressing in my opinion.
Happily, I've just seen a good and balanced review by a guy who liked the movie, and I want to share it here. He also describes how
The Last Jedi divided the fan base and mentions a few things he did not like in
The Rise Of Skywalker1 and a lot of things he did like. Spreading positive vibes, yay!
Star Wars Theory - I Just Saw The Rise of Skywalker - FULL REVIEW
1 I disagree with him regarding his dislike of Palpatine's death and the end on Tatooine. I think the death of Palpatine was fine, and as I've said before I really liked the end on Tatooine, which I think was very well thought out.
That Rey finally took the name
Skywalker rather than
Palpatine, seemed like a good decision. I mean, first of all, who wants to walk around with the name of the most evil villain in the galaxy? Also, taking the name
Skywalker felt symbolic to me; it is not necessarily the lineage which defines you, it is the actions that you take in life which defines you. I like that message very much.