[Stat Mech] Different answers when using log space

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve for pressure using two different equations, resulting in two different answers. The first equation is simplified using the assumption that the second virial coefficient, B2(T), is small, and the second equation is simplified by assuming that 1-B2(T)N^2V^-1 is small. However, the error from these approximations can be significant and lead to different answers. The correct expression for pressure is N/V-B2(T)N^2(N-1)V^-2.
Clever-Name

Homework Statement

I have come across a rather interesting conundrum. Given the configurational potential energy partition function for a non-ideal gas:

[tex]
Z = Z_{internal}\frac{1}{N!}\left(\frac{2\pi m}{h^{2}\beta}\right)^{\frac{3N}{2}}(V^{N} - B_{2}(T)N^{2}V^{N-1})
[/tex]

where [itex] B_{2}(T) [/itex] is the second virial coefficient.

I'm supposed to solve for the pressure.

Homework Equations

[tex] p = \frac{1}{\beta Z}\frac{\partial Z}{\partial V} [/tex]

or

[tex] p = \frac{1}{\beta}\frac{\partial ln(Z)}{\partial V} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If we calculate it using the first expression for p we arrive at

[tex]
p = \frac{1}{\beta}\left(\frac{N}{V} - B_{2}(T)N^{2}(N-1)V^{-2} \right)
[/tex]

However if you do it using the second form for p you can arrive at two different answers depending on how you 'prepare' the 3rd term in Z

Ignoring terms that don't involve V, if you start with it as written and evaluate

[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial V} ln(V^{N} - B_{2}(T)N^{2}V^{N-1})
[/tex]
[tex]
= \frac{NV^{N-1} - B_{2}(T)N^{2}(N-1)V^{N-2}}{(V^{N} - B_{2}(T)N^{2}V^{N-1})}
[/tex]

in the denominator (for each case) we assume [itex] B_{2}(T) [/itex] is small, so we can write the denominator just as [itex] V^{N} [/itex]

So we arrive at

[tex]
\frac{N}{V} - B_{2}(T)N^{2}(N-1)V^{-2}
[/tex]

OK, great that's what it should be, but if you start out with:

[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial V}ln(V^{N}(1-B_{2}(T)N^{2}V^{-1}))
[/tex]

[tex]
= \frac{\partial}{\partial V}\left(ln(V^{N}) + ln(1-B_{2}(T)N^{2}V^{-1})\right)
[/tex]

[tex]
= \frac{N}{V}+ \frac{B_{2}(T)N^{2}V^{-2}}{(1-B_{2}(T)N^{2}V^{-1})}
[/tex]

Again, [itex] B_{2}(T)[/itex] is small, so:

[tex]

= \frac{N}{V} + B_{2}(T)N^{2}V^{-2}

[/tex]

Now we have a different answer...

Why is this happening??

In my prof's notes he uses the second derivation, where we get a different answer from every other calculation.

I suspect
[tex]
\frac{N}{V} - B_{2}(T)N^{2}(N-1)V^{-2}
[/tex]

is the correct form but I can't see what's wrong with the other way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Simplifying the expressions by writing a = B2(T)N2:
Clever-Name said:
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial V} ln(V^{N} - aV^{N-1})= \frac{NV^{N-1} - a(N-1)V^{N-2}}{(V^{N} - aV^{N-1})} [/tex]
in the denominator (for each case) we assume a is small, so we can write the denominator just as [itex] V^{N} [/itex]. So we arrive at
[tex]\frac{N}{V} - a(N-1)V^{-2}[/tex]
OK, great that's what it should be, but if you start out with:
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial V}ln(V^{N}(1-aV^{-1}))= \frac{\partial}{\partial V}\left(ln(V^{N}) + ln(1-aV^{-1})\right)= \frac{N}{V}+ \frac{aV^{-2}}{(1-aV^{-1})}[/tex]
Again, a is small, so:
[tex]= \frac{N}{V} + aV^{-2}[/tex]
Your problem is that the error from your 'a is small' approximation is the same order as the smaller of the terms you retain. Therefore that term is entirely untrustworthy.
More appropriate would be:
[tex]\frac{NV^{N-1} - a(N-1)V^{N-2}}{(V^{N} - aV^{N-1})}= \frac{N}{V}\frac{1-a(1-1/N)V^{-1}}{1 - aV^{-1}}[/tex]
[tex]≈\frac{N}{V}(1-a(1-1/N)V^{-1})(1 + aV^{-1})≈\frac{N}{V}(1-a(1-1/N)V^{-1} + aV^{-1})=\frac{N}{V}(1+\frac{a}{NV})[/tex]

Ok, I'm not sure I'm following here. You have derived the correct expression, sure, but we can arrive at that just as easily by saying [itex] 1 - aV^{-1} = 1 [/itex] in the second derivation. How come we're not allowed to do that when we have [itex] V^{N}(1-aV^{-1}) [/itex]. I'm not sure I understand your comment about the error.

Clever-Name said:
I'm not sure I understand your comment about the error.
In the first derivation, you equate the denominator to VN while that denominator applies to the whole expression. The ignored term, as a fraction of the retained VN, is -a/V. Dropping it therefore increases the denominator by a fraction a/V, and thus decreases the entire expression by approximately that fraction: x → x - xa/V.
In the answer derived, the leading term is N/V. Thus the expression as a whole has lost roughly (N/V)*(a/V) = Na/V2. That is the size of the discrepancy between your two answers.
In your second derivation you made the approximation after separating off the leading term. As a result, the induced error was a second order small quantity.

Oh ok that makes sense now, thanks for the help.

1. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to explain the behavior of large systems of particles. It aims to predict the collective behavior of a large number of individual particles by considering their interactions and randomness.

2. Why do we use log space in statistical mechanics?

Log space is often used in statistical mechanics because it allows us to convert products and ratios of probabilities into sums and differences, which are easier to work with mathematically. This simplifies calculations and makes them more manageable.

3. How does using log space affect the results in statistical mechanics?

Using log space can change the numerical values of probabilities, but it does not change the overall behavior or trends of the system. In some cases, it can make calculations more accurate and efficient, but it can also introduce errors if not used properly.

4. Are there any limitations to using log space in statistical mechanics?

Yes, there are limitations to using log space in statistical mechanics. It can only be applied to systems that exhibit logarithmic behavior, and it may not be suitable for all types of calculations. Additionally, it requires a good understanding of logarithms and their properties.

5. Can we use log space in all areas of statistical mechanics?

No, log space is not applicable in all areas of statistical mechanics. It is most commonly used in calculations involving probabilities, but it may not be useful in other areas such as thermodynamics or fluid dynamics. It is important to consider the specific problem and determine if using log space is appropriate.