Static condensation or Guyan reduction

In summary, the professor in the video talks about a technique called "Guyan reduction" which is different from "static condensation". Static condensation is when we ignore the inertia forces on the slave nodes and solve the equation for "K"{u} = {F}. Guyan reduction is when we lump the mass properties at the two ends of the beam and assume the deflected shape along the length of the beam is the same as for statics.
millachin
Hey all,

I was going through a few video lectures on youtube. To be specific, this is the video I watched.

Now, the professor in the video talks about Dynamic reduction techniques and puts Guyan reduction in that category. For a fact, Guyan reduction is also called Static condensation and when I come to think of 'Static' condensation as a 'Dynamic' reduction technique I am confused.

The term dynamic stands for something that varies linearly with time. Somwehow I can't correlate this with Static Condensation where we ignore the inertial (mass) terms and assume static equilibrium between the master nodes and slave nodes while solving this equation: [K]{u} = {F}.

Could anyone please explain this?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
millachin said:
Somwehow I can't correlate this with Static Condensation where we ignore the inertial (mass) terms and assume static equilibrium between the master nodes and slave nodes while solving this equation: [K]{u} = {F}.
As a simple example, think about the vibration of a cantilever beam. You can write the equation of motion of the beam with the mass distributed along its length, and solve to get the "exact" frequencies and mode shapes. Or you can make an approximate model by lumping the mass properties at the two ends of the beam, and assuming the deflected shape along the length of the beam is the same as for statics (i.e. described by a cubic function).

That's the basic idea behind Guyan reduction, and why it is called "static condensation".

Thanks for replying AlephZero.

Consider the statement " 'Static' Condensation is a 'Dynamic' reduction technique."
Now, 'reduction' and 'condensation' are synonyms, technique is a neutral word and then you have 'dynamic' and 'static' which are poles apart.

I have still not clearly understood the role of the word 'dynamic' in Static condensation. Yes, lumping of mass is done but again why call it 'dynamic' in first place. Why couldn't it just be called a reduction technique that lumps the mass properties?

Hoping to hear from you soon.

I think this is more a question about English than about math.

"dynamic reduction" = "reducing the number of degrees of freedom in a model so a dynamic analyiss runs faster".

"static condensation" = "assuming the slave degrees of freedom move in the same way as for a static analysis, by ignoring the inertia forces on them".

These are two-word names for single ideas. Trying to parse "dynamic" as an adjective describing "reduction" and "static" as an adjective describing "condensation" doesn't add much to the meaning.

Why couldn't it just be called a reduction technique that lumps the mass properties?

You could call it that, but there are many different reduction techniques that lump the mass properties in dufferent ways. "Static condensation" is the name of one one way to do it.

Thanks AlephZero.

Your answers have certainly cleared some of my doubts. Will get back to you sooner or later with more doubts. Thanks once again! :)

1. What is static condensation or Guyan reduction?

Static condensation or Guyan reduction is a numerical technique used in structural analysis to reduce the size of a system of equations, typically a large finite element model, by eliminating the degrees of freedom associated with internal (or redundant) nodes. This results in a smaller, condensed system of equations that can be solved more efficiently.

2. How does static condensation or Guyan reduction work?

The technique of static condensation involves applying a set of transformation equations to the original set of equations, which eliminates the internal degrees of freedom associated with internal nodes. This results in a smaller system of equations that can be solved using standard methods such as Gaussian elimination or iterative solvers.

3. What are the benefits of using static condensation or Guyan reduction?

Static condensation or Guyan reduction can significantly reduce the computational cost of solving large finite element models. By eliminating the internal degrees of freedom, the size of the system of equations is reduced, resulting in faster solution times. It also simplifies the model, making it easier to analyze and interpret the results.

4. Are there any limitations to using static condensation or Guyan reduction?

One limitation of static condensation or Guyan reduction is that it can only be applied to linear systems. It also requires a well-conditioned matrix, otherwise, the condensed system may be ill-conditioned and lead to inaccurate results. Additionally, the technique may not be suitable for all types of finite element models.

5. How is static condensation or Guyan reduction different from other reduction techniques?

Static condensation or Guyan reduction is different from other reduction techniques, such as component mode synthesis or Craig-Bampton method, in that it only eliminates internal degrees of freedom. This means that it does not require the modes to be identified beforehand, making it more versatile and easier to apply. However, it may not result in as significant of a reduction in the number of equations compared to other techniques.