Statics : Force on Equilibrium Problem

In summary, the problem involves three identical cylinders weighing 80.2 tied together by a wire and placed on a smooth horizontal surface. The goal is to determine the minimum tension acting on the wire, with a hint that the answer is between 20 and 30. To solve this problem, a FBD (free body diagram) needs to be constructed for each cylinder, taking into account the equilateral triangle formed by the cylinders. Using the equations for equilibrium, the minimum tension can be calculated.
trigun541969

Homework Statement

Three (3) Identical Cylinders each weighing 80.2 were tied together by a wire and was placed on a smooth horizontal surface as shown determine minimum tension acting on the wire.

hint: the answer 20 < Tension < 30

Figure below:
[PLAIN]http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3900/28405131073900490311234.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum[/tex]Mo = 0
[tex]\sum[/tex]Fx = 0
[tex]\sum[/tex]Fy = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

First I noticed that the 3 cylinders are were tied together so the distance from the Center of AB , AC , CB are equal and it forms an equilateral triangle so it forms an angle of 60degree
and after this i don't know how to do my FBD or what principle will i use to find the minimum tension acting on the system.
and my professor said that 20 < minimum tension < 30
help guys this problem can be the problem on my quiz later :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you need is the FBD. Try something and post it here. If you don't show your attempt, nobody will try to help.
You are on the right track with the angles. Now do the FBD

1. What is statics?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in constant motion. It involves analyzing forces acting on an object to determine the effects of those forces on the object's equilibrium.

2. What is an equilibrium problem in statics?

An equilibrium problem in statics refers to a situation where an object is at rest or in constant motion, and the forces acting on the object are balanced. In other words, the net force and net torque on the object are both equal to zero.

3. How do you calculate the force on an equilibrium problem?

To calculate the force on an equilibrium problem, you need to first draw a free body diagram of the object and identify all the forces acting on it. Then, you can use the equations of static equilibrium (sum of forces = 0 and sum of torques = 0) to solve for the unknown forces.

4. What are the common types of forces in an equilibrium problem?

The common types of forces in an equilibrium problem are tension, compression, normal force, friction, and weight. These forces can act in different directions and magnitudes, depending on the specific problem.

5. How can you ensure accuracy in solving an equilibrium problem?

To ensure accuracy in solving an equilibrium problem, you should follow a systematic approach, clearly identify all the forces acting on the object, and use proper units and vector notations. It is also important to double-check your calculations and ensure that the sum of forces and torques are equal to zero.