Statistical Mechanics: Partial derivative with fixed variable

In summary, the problem asks to find the partial derivatives of y with respect to x, holding z and g constant. The first derivative, (∂y / ∂x)z, can be found by treating z as a constant, while the second derivative, (∂y / ∂x)g, can be found by substituting for z and then differentiating with respect to x, holding g constant.
steve233
1. Homework Statement

Given y = xz5 and x = zg find :

(∂y / ∂x)z
(∂y / ∂x)g

2. Homework Equations
3. The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the concept of a partial derivative, but I've never seen one such that there is a variable held fixed, or one where ∂x is not changing independently. Any tips on how to do this?

My solution is basically treat z as a constant but that would be the same as taking the partial without holding z constant. I'm not sure what to do about x either. Just need an example of or instruction on how to do this.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
steve233 said:
Given y = xz5 and x = zg find :

(∂y / ∂x)z
(∂y / ∂x)g

My solution is basically treat z as a constant but that would be the same as taking the partial without holding z constant.

I think that is all they want for the first one. I suspect the notation is being used this way so that for the second one, you would replace z by substitution and again differentiate with respect to x, holding g fixed.

1. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistics to describe the behavior of a large number of particles or systems. It relates the microscopic properties of individual particles to the macroscopic properties of a system, such as temperature, pressure, and energy.

2. What is a partial derivative in statistical mechanics?

In statistical mechanics, a partial derivative is a mathematical tool used to describe how a particular variable changes with respect to another variable while keeping all other variables constant. It is often used to calculate the change in a thermodynamic property, such as energy, with respect to a specific variable, such as temperature.

3. How is a partial derivative with fixed variable calculated?

A partial derivative with fixed variable is calculated by taking the derivative of a function with respect to the fixed variable while treating all other variables as constants. This can be done using mathematical techniques such as the chain rule or the product rule.

4. What is the significance of a partial derivative with fixed variable in statistical mechanics?

A partial derivative with fixed variable is important in statistical mechanics because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a system as a function of a single variable while holding all other variables constant. This helps us understand how changes in one variable affect the overall behavior of the system.

5. How is a partial derivative with fixed variable used in practical applications?

In practical applications, a partial derivative with fixed variable is used to analyze and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as gases or liquids. It is also used in thermodynamics to calculate the change in a system's properties, such as heat transfer or work, under different conditions.