1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical Mechanics: Partial derivative with fixed variable

1. Sep 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given y = xz5 and x = zg find :

(∂y / ∂x)z
    (∂y / ∂x)g

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

I understand the concept of a partial derivative, but I've never seen one such that there is a variable held fixed, or one where ∂x is not changing independently. Any tips on how to do this?

My solution is basically treat z as a constant but that would be the same as taking the partial without holding z constant. I'm not sure what to do about x either. Just need an example of or instruction on how to do this.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2011 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

I think that is all they want for the first one. I suspect the notation is being used this way so that for the second one, you would replace z by substitution and again differentiate with respect to x, holding g fixed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook