1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical mechanics, spin average

1. Oct 16, 2014 #1
    This is an exercise from an old examination that im trying to understand by following the given solution to this problem. The exercise is about to calculate the four spin average <SiSjSkSl> and the indices i,j,k and l, given a Hamiltonian H.

Solution:
    Spin.png

The problem is that i can't follow the last two steps in this given solution. I understand how the partition function Z is obtained and how they express the four spin average as the trace of the four spins and the "density operator" (e^(-beta*H)/Z). But im very confused about how they continue to the next last and last rows.

I'm thankful for explanations!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted