1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical methods recommendation?

1. Jun 25, 2012 #1
    Heya Everybody,

I've gots me sum boat loads of noisy spectroscopic data dat I've gots to sort thru. It's been a while since I've had to jackknife, bootstrap, or weiner filter anything. Can anyone recommend a book for refreshering me memory on these subjects? And any other techniques for analyzing loads of data.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2012 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hello Iforgot. Please use standard English here; textspeak and slang run afoul of the Forum rules. The best book(s) for you depend on the type of analysis you need to do.

For spectral analysis, take a look at texts by Kay or Marple. They have something like spectral analysis or estimation in their titles, and both are good.

Manolakis has a book called something like Statistical Signal Processing that is comprehensive. It covers Wiener filtering, MA, AR and ARMA models, linear and nonlinear spectral analysis, Kalman filtering, adaptive systems, etc. in a single volume.

For detection and estimation, the books by van Trees are excellent. Kay has two highly respected volumes (one on detection, the other estimation) that are sophisticated and rigorous.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook