Statistical Physics: Cubic lattice of two molecules

In summary, the conversation discusses a cubic lattice of N sites occupied by A and B molecules with energy of interaction between nearest neighbor molecules. The order parameter, \phi_A, represents the percentage of molecule A in the lattice and can range from 0 to 1/2. The relation between \phi_A and \phi_B is \phi_B = 1 - \phi_A. By determining the number of A-A, A-B, and B-B nearest neighbor contacts in terms of \phi_A, it is shown that if \chi_{AA} = \chi_{BB}, the total energy can be written as E = E_0 + 3Nk_BT\chi\phi_A(1-\phi_A), where E
Matt atkinson

Homework Statement

A mixture of two substances exists on a cubic lattice of N sites, each of which is occupied by either an A molecule or a B molecule. The number of A molecules is NA and the number of B molecules is NB, such that NA + NB = N. The energy of interaction is [itex]k_BT\chi_{AA}[/itex] between two nearest neighbour A molecules, [itex]k_BT\chi_{BB} [/itex] between two nearest neighbour B molecules and [itex]k_BT\chi_{AB}[/itex] between a neighbouring pair of an A and a B molecule. When the interaction energies are written in this form, [itex]\chi_{ij}[/itex] is dimensionless.

1) State,
a. what the order parameter defined as [itex]\phi_A = NA/N[/itex] physically represents.
b. the range of values that [itex]\phi_A[/itex] can take.
c. the relation between [itex]\phi_A[/itex] and [itex]\phi_B[/itex] ([itex]\phi_B = NB/N[/itex]).

2) By determining the number of A-A, A-B and B-B nearest neighbour contacts in terms of [itex]\phi_A[/itex], show that, if [itex]\chi_{AA} = \chi_{BB}[/itex], the total energy can be written as;

$$ E = E_0 + 3Nk_BT \chi \phi_A (1−\phi_A )$$
Where [itex]E_o[/itex] and [itex]\chi[/itex] are constants.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1a) The percentage of molecule A in lattice sites N.
1b) [itex]\phi_A=0...1/2[/itex] (due to max entropy being when there is 50% of molecule A and 50% of molecule B)
1c) [itex]\phi_B=1-\phi_A[/itex]

2) so this is where I am stuck, i found;
[itex]N_{AA}=6N\phi_A^2[/itex] (each site has 6 nearest neighbours, so number of A molecules x no of NN x P(NN being a A molecule)
[itex]N_{BB}=6N(1-\phi_A)^2[/itex]
[itex]N_{AB}=12N\phi_A(1-\phi_A)[/itex]

and then using;
$$E=N_{AA}V_{AA}+N_{BB}V_{BB}+N_{AB}V_{AB}$$
I get that
$$E=6VN+6VN\phi_A(\phi_A-1)$$
Where [itex]V=V_{AA}=V_{BB}=V_{AB}[/itex] as [itex]\chi_{AA} = \chi_{BB}[/itex].

I'm thinking i might've worked out the number of A-A, B-B and A-B interactions wrong. could someone give me a nudge in the right direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Figured out what i was doing wrong now! all is fine :D

1. How does a cubic lattice of two molecules behave under different temperatures?

At higher temperatures, the two molecules in a cubic lattice will have more kinetic energy, causing them to move more rapidly and collide with each other more frequently. This leads to an increase in the overall pressure and volume of the system. At lower temperatures, the molecules will have less kinetic energy and move more slowly, resulting in a decrease in pressure and volume.

2. How does the number of molecules in a cubic lattice affect its statistical properties?

The number of molecules in a cubic lattice has a direct influence on its statistical properties. As the number of molecules increases, the system becomes more complex and exhibits a wider range of behaviors. This is due to the increased number of interactions between molecules, leading to a more diverse distribution of energies and velocities.

3. What is the significance of the lattice spacing in a cubic lattice?

The lattice spacing in a cubic lattice plays a crucial role in determining the overall energy and stability of the system. When the spacing is too large, there will be significant empty space between molecules, leading to lower energy and lower stability. On the other hand, when the spacing is too small, there will be a high degree of overlap between molecules, resulting in higher energy and lower stability.

4. How does statistical physics explain the behavior of a cubic lattice of two molecules?

Statistical physics uses mathematical models and principles to describe and predict the collective behavior of a large number of particles, such as the two molecules in a cubic lattice. It takes into account factors such as temperature, energy, and interactions between particles to explain the observed behaviors of the system.

5. Can statistical physics be applied to other types of lattices besides a cubic lattice?

Yes, statistical physics can be applied to various types of lattices, including hexagonal, tetragonal, and rhombohedral lattices. The principles and models used to analyze a cubic lattice can also be applied to other types of lattices, as long as they follow similar patterns of interactions between particles.