1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical Physics: Cubic lattice of two molecules

1. Apr 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mixture of two substances exists on a cubic lattice of N sites, each of which is occupied by either an A molecule or a B molecule. The number of A molecules is NA and the number of B molecules is NB, such that NA + NB = N. The energy of interaction is [itex]k_BT\chi_{AA}[/itex] between two nearest neighbour A molecules, [itex]k_BT\chi_{BB} [/itex] between two nearest neighbour B molecules and [itex]k_BT\chi_{AB}[/itex] between a neighbouring pair of an A and a B molecule. When the interaction energies are written in this form, [itex]\chi_{ij}[/itex] is dimensionless.

1) State,
    a. what the order parameter defined as [itex]\phi_A = NA/N[/itex] physically represents.
    b. the range of values that [itex]\phi_A[/itex] can take.
    c. the relation between [itex]\phi_A[/itex] and [itex]\phi_B[/itex] ([itex]\phi_B = NB/N[/itex]).

2) By determining the number of A-A, A-B and B-B nearest neighbour contacts in terms of [itex]\phi_A[/itex], show that, if [itex]\chi_{AA} = \chi_{BB}[/itex], the total energy can be written as;

$$ E = E_0 + 3Nk_BT \chi \phi_A (1−\phi_A )$$
    Where [itex]E_o[/itex] and [itex]\chi[/itex] are constants.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1a) The percentage of molecule A in lattice sites N.
    1b) [itex]\phi_A=0...1/2[/itex] (due to max entropy being when there is 50% of molecule A and 50% of molecule B)
    1c) [itex]\phi_B=1-\phi_A[/itex]

2) so this is where im stuck, i found;
    [itex]N_{AA}=6N\phi_A^2[/itex] (each site has 6 nearest neighbours, so number of A molecules x no of NN x P(NN being a A molecule)
    [itex]N_{BB}=6N(1-\phi_A)^2[/itex]
    [itex]N_{AB}=12N\phi_A(1-\phi_A)[/itex]

and then using;
    $$E=N_{AA}V_{AA}+N_{BB}V_{BB}+N_{AB}V_{AB}$$
    I get that
    $$E=6VN+6VN\phi_A(\phi_A-1)$$
    Where [itex]V=V_{AA}=V_{BB}=V_{AB}[/itex] as [itex]\chi_{AA} = \chi_{BB}[/itex].

I'm thinking i might've worked out the number of A-A, B-B and A-B interactions wrong. could someone give me a nudge in the right direction?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2015 #2
    Figured out what i was doing wrong now! all is fine :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted