Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical Uncertainty for Discrete Events

1. May 26, 2009 #1
    I am not sure how to answer the following question, which I have posed to myself to better understand the method:

"Suppose two six-sided dice are rolled together N times. What is the uncertainty in the number of times any given total appears on the dice?"

For example, what is the uncertainty in the number of times 8 is rolled if N is 100? (You can call the number of times 8 appears another variable such as m).

I can see how you would analyze this system by finding the mean and variance of the distribution, but what if I just want to know the uncertainty in only one channel of the distribution?

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2009 #2
    Well, the first step is to find the distribution for that specific total. For that you can use the binomial distribution, where in your example p = the probability that 8 comes up on a single roll. You then just need to use the entropy of the binomial distribution.

4. May 28, 2009 #3
    Thank you! The binomial test was just what I was looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook