1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics 101 problem. Using confidence values and z scores?

1. Jun 6, 2007 #1
    1. A study of zinc-deficient mothers was conducted to determine whether zinc supplemnetation during pregnancy results in babies with increased weight at birth. The weights are measured in grams. Use a 0.05 significance level to test the claim that zinc supplementation does increase weight at birth

2. Zinc group: n=294 xbar=3214 s=669

Placebo Group: n=286 xbar=3088 s=728

3. I tried using z scores to figure this out by using the equation z= xbar-m/sigma/[squareroot of n] however i am not sure if i need some sort of hypothesis testing or how to go about solving this. Since i dont know m I was using the xbar1-xbar2 on the numerator. Any help is appreciated. The answer i got was using Hnot: m<=0 and H1: m>0. Then getting 1.96 and a calculated z score of 3.229. Since 3.229>1.96 I stated that we reject Hnot and which means that m is greater than 0 showing a positive weight gain in the zinc supliment catagory. I think that this is wrong though.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?