1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics: How to find mean of bins

1. Sep 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi

Say I have the following bin sizes, where the number in paranthesis is the amount of data points contained in the bin:

20-29 : (2)
    30-39 : (7)
    40-49 : (12)
    50-59 : (14)

How would I go about and find the mean for this binned data? I know that I should use

[tex]
    mean = \frac{1}{N}\sum\limits_j {n_j x_j },
    [/tex]

where bin j corresponds to a value xj and contains nj elements. But in my case, what are the values of the bins?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2010 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

You usually treat this as a weighted mean problem. Think this way: if you needed to select one value from inside each bin, what value (intuitively) would be the one to pick if you didn't want to over- or under-estimate typical values in the bin? That's the value you use for x.

4. Sep 11, 2010 #3
    I would use the average value of the data samples in that particular bin. Would you also do that?

5. Sep 11, 2010 #4

statdad

Homework Helper

No - you need to use a number that comes from the bins, not the collected data.

6. Sep 11, 2010 #5
    Then the average of the bin-size, i.e. for 20-29 it is 24.5?

7. Sep 11, 2010 #6

statdad

Homework Helper

Yes - it's called the midpoint of the bin.

8. Sep 12, 2010 #7
    Thanks, it is kind of you to help me.

Best wishes,
    Niles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook