Statistics: How to find mean of bins

  • Thread starter Thread starter Niles
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mean Statistics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 12K views
Niles
Messages
1,834
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hi

Say I have the following bin sizes, where the number in paranthesis is the amount of data points contained in the bin:

20-29 : (2)
30-39 : (7)
40-49 : (12)
50-59 : (14)

How would I go about and find the mean for this binned data? I know that I should use

[tex] mean = \frac{1}{N}\sum\limits_j {n_j x_j },[/tex]

where bin j corresponds to a value xj and contains nj elements. But in my case, what are the values of the bins?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You usually treat this as a weighted mean problem. Think this way: if you needed to select one value from inside each bin, what value (intuitively) would be the one to pick if you didn't want to over- or under-estimate typical values in the bin? That's the value you use for x.
 
statdad said:
You usually treat this as a weighted mean problem. Think this way: if you needed to select one value from inside each bin, what value (intuitively) would be the one to pick if you didn't want to over- or under-estimate typical values in the bin? That's the value you use for x.

I would use the average value of the data samples in that particular bin. Would you also do that?
 
Niles said:
I would use the average value of the data samples in that particular bin. Would you also do that?

No - you need to use a number that comes from the bins, not the collected data.
 
Then the average of the bin-size, i.e. for 20-29 it is 24.5?
 
Thanks, it is kind of you to help me.

Best wishes,
Niles.