Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics pertaining to thermodyanmics

1. Jun 26, 2013 #1
    Thermodynamics states that a system cannot become more complex without some sort of input (which would make it an open system). In other words, a closed system cannot increase in complexity.

I understand that complexity is a very ill-defined term. However, at least in principal, couldn't a closed system by chance become more complex without external energy? (ie: a tornado goes through a junkyard and actually goes leave a functioning aircraft in its wake)

This being said, would it be more fair to say that on average, a closed system will not increase in complexity?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not to my knowledge ... where did you get this idea from?

Perhaps you are thinking of the law of entropy?

4. Jun 26, 2013 #3

chiro

Science Advisor

Following from what Simon Bridge said, you will need to specify the entropy measure and its corresponding distribution to specifically outline what kind of entropy (and thus information) measure you are looking at.

You also might want to look at Kolmogorov Complexity if you want to make your analysis more specific.

5. Jun 27, 2013 #4
    Sorry, I guess I am! "The entropy of an isolated system never decreases, because isolated systems spontaneously evolve towards thermodynamic equilibrium, which is the state of maximum entropy."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook