Will staying an extra year in school hurt my grad school or job prospects?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Winzer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Year
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Winzer
Messages
597
Reaction score
0
Supposing that I don't have to worry about my finances I would like to stay an extra year in school. There are additional math, engineering , and computer courses that I think would really benefit me. Would this look bad for a grad school app or job?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think so. Lots of students take an extra year, often because somewhere along the line they may have needed some time to figure out which path they were going to take. What matters is that you do well in the courses you take.
 
I figure I would stay for two reasons:
1) Boost my GPA
I don't mean taking foo foo courses, they would all be engineering, physics courses, or computer courses. Second semester sophomore year I overloaded myself with 2 engineering courses 2 physics courses, a lab course, and 2 math courses. I paid dearly with C's.
2) Gain skills
The computer programming courses would really benefit me in addition to the engineering courses.