Steam system pipe sizing inquiry

In summary, the pressure reducing valve affects the sizing procedure downstream, so you need to calculate the response of the valve.
mandoto
Good day,

My question relates to the use of a pressure reducing station (pressure reducing valve) in a steam system. As those involved in the design know, pipe sizing is carried out starting with the furthest point (the most demanding point of consumption) and sizing shall start from that point on till we reach the boiler following the different standrads guide lines based on velocity or pressure drop. In case there was no pressure reducing valve(s) fitted on the line we can continue our sizing procedure without any troubles. The problem I face is when there is a pressure reducing station, in this case shall I start sizing in a reveresed mannar starting from the nearest point where pressure and pipe size is known (given that we have started with the most demanding point which typically shall not need any kind of pressure reduction and that line extending from the most demanding point is sized) then carry on till we reach the pressure reducing valve, and then starting our sizing procedure after the pressure reducing valve with the new pressure value approched via the pressure reducer. Also I noted that any pipes downstream the pressure reducing stations are larger than those pipes upstream (feeding) the pressure reducing station.

I'd appreciate it if anyone got a clue if what I've said makes sense? any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are asking about a calculation strategy. Presumably, no matter where in the line you start, or which direction you go, there is only one correct result. A software program may iterate moving up the line then down the line, over and over.

So sorry, I can't guess which strategy works best for you.

You are on the right track. A problem such as this is really two separate problems, one downstream of the PRV, the other upstream. You solve each problem by itself without consideration of the other problem. You do have a common steam flow rate, but everything else is independent.

The PRV is a third sizing problem. Be sure to calculate if the valve needs a linear or equal percentage response.

1. What is steam system pipe sizing inquiry?

The steam system pipe sizing inquiry is a process used to determine the appropriate size of pipes for a steam system. This ensures that the system is efficient and functions properly.

2. Why is steam system pipe sizing important?

Proper pipe sizing is crucial for the efficient and safe operation of a steam system. Undersized pipes can lead to low steam flow and pressure, while oversized pipes can cause excess condensate and wasted energy.

3. How is steam system pipe sizing calculated?

Steam system pipe sizing is calculated using a combination of factors, including the required steam flow rate, pressure drop, and pipe material. These calculations can be done manually or with the use of software programs.

4. What are the consequences of incorrect pipe sizing?

Incorrect pipe sizing can lead to a variety of issues, such as inadequate heating or cooling, pressure fluctuations, and increased energy costs. It can also cause damage to the steam system and equipment.

5. Can steam system pipe sizing be done for any type of building or facility?

Yes, steam system pipe sizing can be done for any type of building or facility that utilizes steam for heating, cooling, or industrial processes. This includes residential, commercial, and industrial buildings.