Steel Vibration Synthesizer: Crafting Musical Shapes

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Mustafa Umut
Messages
31
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Hello there, I thought a fully analog , cutting vibrational shapes on steel plate and hit to each shape by fingers and produce whichever sine , square , triangle vibration you want and filter of those collections of vibrations by another steel cut shape and make a synthesizer .

Steel is stainless and 1 mm thick

everything is cut steel , works like percussion instrument.

Homework Equations


I don't know how to invent shapes for to cut steel for desired vibrations and filters

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd look at reed organs/instruments to get some ideas. A clarinet reed for example, produces a square wave. Filtering a square wave gives a triangle wave. A resonant cavity can filter that to a sine wave.

I'm not sure these waveforms can be produced with a finger providing the energy, but maybe you meant forming the metal by hand (with the fingers)?