Stellar Eclipse on Feb 18/19, 2019

In summary, an asteroid called 4388 Jürgenstock has a chance of eclipsing Sirius, the brightest star in the sky, on February 18th. This will only be visible in certain areas, but it is a significant event as Sirius is rarely obscured. A map is available for those interested in seeing it, but it will only last for 1.8 seconds so viewers must be quick.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
Sirius, the brightest star in the sky, might be eclipsed by an asteroid in a few days:

https://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/will-sirius-disappear/

Can a 7-kilometer-wide asteroid make Sirius disappear? You bet it can. That just might happen on Monday night, February 18th. That evening around 10:30 p.m. MST (5:30 UT February 19th), there's a good probability that the 17th-magnitude 4388 Jürgenstock will occult the sky's brightest star for up to 1.8 seconds. Visibility stretches along a narrow path from the southern tip of Baja California to the Las Cruces–El Paso region, up through the Great Plains, and north to the Winnipeg area. While only a limited number of people may see this event, anytime Sirius disappears, however briefly, it's news!

A map is available for where it will be visible from: http://www.poyntsource.com/New/Google/20190219_62950.HTM

Just don't blink. You may miss it.

Likes davenn, Andy Resnick and BillTre
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Interesting map, thanks. Not visible from my location but I probably would have blinked, or looked aside at the crucial moment.

What is a "Stellar Eclipse"?

A stellar eclipse is a phenomenon where one celestial object, such as a star, passes in front of another celestial object, such as a planet or moon, causing a temporary blockage of light. This can also refer to a situation where a planet or moon passes in front of a star, causing a temporary dimming of the star's light.

When is the Stellar Eclipse on Feb 18/19, 2019?

The Stellar Eclipse on Feb 18/19, 2019 is a lunar eclipse, meaning that the Earth will pass between the Sun and the Moon, casting a shadow on the Moon. This will occur on the night of February 18th to the early morning of February 19th, depending on your location.

Where can I see the Stellar Eclipse on Feb 18/19, 2019?

The Stellar Eclipse on Feb 18/19, 2019 will be visible from most of North and South America, as well as parts of Europe and Africa. The best viewing locations will be those with clear skies and minimal light pollution.

How long will the Stellar Eclipse on Feb 18/19, 2019 last?

The total duration of the Stellar Eclipse on Feb 18/19, 2019 will be approximately 5 hours and 15 minutes. However, the total phase of the eclipse, where the Moon is fully within the Earth's shadow, will only last about an hour and a half.

Can I view the Stellar Eclipse on Feb 18/19, 2019 with my naked eye?

Yes, you can safely view the Stellar Eclipse on Feb 18/19, 2019 with your naked eye. However, it is recommended to use binoculars or a telescope for a better view. It is important to never look directly at the Sun during an eclipse, as this can cause permanent eye damage.

Back