Step Response Characteristics in Simulink

In summary, the conversation discusses using Simulink to measure peak overshoot, settling time, and rise time in a system with a step input and scope output. It is possible to force a step function into the model using the Step block or Signal Builder block, but there is no automated tool in Simulink to measure these characteristics. They can be manually examined from the plots or implemented using switching networks.
fonz
I have a system that I have built in Simulink with a step input and scope output. I would like to measure the peak overshoot, settling time etc. In Matlab this can be done using the 'step' command and generating the characteristics from the Figure window. Is there a way of getting the same information from Simulink?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. In very complicated systems, a simulated time response to a step input may be the only practical approach. In Simulink, you can force a step function into the model and see the response. Simulink has a Step block. (and a more general Signal Builder block.)

FactChecker said:
Yes. In very complicated systems, a simulated time response to a step input may be the only practical approach. In Simulink, you can force a step function into the model and see the response. Simulink has a Step block. (and a more general Signal Builder block.)

Thanks. I have found the step function in Simulink and plotted my step response on a scope. What I can't find is a way to get Simulink to measure the peak overshoot, settling time, rise time etc. Is there a way to do this in Simulink?

fonz said:
Thanks. I have found the step function in Simulink and plotted my step response on a scope. What I can't find is a way to get Simulink to measure the peak overshoot, settling time, rise time etc. Is there a way to do this in Simulink?
I have only gotten those by examining the plots. I am not familiar with any automated tool to detect those, but they should be easy enough to implement, so I wouldn't be surprised if they existed somewhere.

You can probably build some switching networks that would detect them. Save the maximum output signal to date. That should give you the peak overshoot. The last time outside of the tolerance should give you the settling time. The first time the output reaches a value should give you the rise time.

What is a step response in Simulink?

A step response in Simulink is a plot that shows the output of a system in response to a sudden change in the input, typically from 0 to 1. It is a commonly used tool to assess the dynamics and stability of a system.

How is step response calculated in Simulink?

The step response is calculated by running a simulation in Simulink with a step input as the input signal. The output of the system is then plotted against time to create the step response curve.

What are the key characteristics of a step response in Simulink?

The key characteristics of a step response in Simulink include the rise time, settling time, peak time, and overshoot. These factors can be used to evaluate the performance and stability of a system.

How can I improve the step response of my system in Simulink?

To improve the step response of a system in Simulink, you can adjust the system's parameters, such as gain and time constants, to optimize its response. You can also use control techniques, such as PID controllers, to enhance the system's stability and response.

Can Simulink simulate non-linear step responses?

Yes, Simulink can simulate non-linear step responses by using non-linear models and solvers. These allow for more accurate simulations of real-world systems that may not have a linear response to a step input.