Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stickyness of drop down menus

1. Feb 23, 2015 #1

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

The drop down menus ("My PF", "Inbox" etc.) are very irritating when the display is showing only the compose-a-reply editing field on the screen (in Firefox). Clicking on that part of the screen doesn't dismiss the drop down menus. ESC doesn't dismiss them. There is a thin bar at the bottom that you can click in and dismiss them, but that is tedious and the bar isn't always visible if the reply is lengthy.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2015 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

I'm seeing this behavior in Firefox and also an ancient Safari - "irritating" is a gentle and polite word to describe it. There's an area at the top of the page in which a click will dismiss the offending dialog, and life has gotten better since I found it.

4. Feb 23, 2015 #3
    For me clicking inside the editor does not hide the popup but anywhere outside the editor works fine.

5. Feb 23, 2015 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

That's true for me. However, to write a reply (and see what I'm doing) the editor part of the window often fills the whole screen.

6. Mar 2, 2015 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What about making the drop-down menus active only on click instead of on rollover? I also find them very irritating and in the way.

7. Mar 2, 2015 #6
    Can you guys increase your screen resolution? :)

8. Mar 2, 2015 #7

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hit the blank white space in the PF header --- big target.

9. Mar 3, 2015 #8

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

I can, but if that puts more of the page on the screen, I'll just have to increase size of the display to get stuff big enough to see well.

I have a theory that there is a generational divide in computer interface design. Young people can tolerate a crowded page with lots of small writing on it. Old guys need big type. I have a 21" monitor and I sit near it and yet I still need the message editor to nearly fill up the display in order to see what I'm doing.

10. Apr 23, 2015 #9

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Amen Steven
    Those (participle deleted)dropdowns are (participle deleted) annoying . I usually have a reference open in a separate tab and when mousing up to switch tabs the (participle deleted)dropdowns jump in front of me . It's hard on my blood pressure.

Old guys like me set our mouse speed sorta slow so we can find the doggone cursor .

PLEASE can we make those (participle deleted)dropdowns require a click to activate, or move them to a vertical row on left side, or make them have at least a 3/4 second dwell time?

11. Apr 23, 2015 #10

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Amen to that!!

12. Apr 23, 2015 #11

Evo

I agree that would be preferable to them opening when you accidentally move your mouse over them and then they won't close until you go out of your way to do so. Greg, please, I know you've been asked to stop these from opening and not closing before and you seemed to think it was a good thing, I don't remember why. It's really irritating and serves no purpose but to aggravate members. Don't hate me, but it's really irritating. If I want to open a drop down, I will do so.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  13. Apr 23, 2015 #12
    I agree -- if you hover over it let it display, but once you hover out of any space it displayed, make it disappear.

14. Apr 23, 2015 #13
    I'm trying to understand the difficulty. I have made a video showing for me at least that it's a quick and easy functionality. Is this not how it's working for everyone else?

15. Apr 23, 2015 #14

Evo

No, the drop downs open without clicking on them and they will not close until you close them.

16. Apr 23, 2015 #15
    Watching my video, how does that improve my efficiency?

17. Apr 23, 2015 #16

Evo

If you do not want the drop down to open, and you have to go out of your way to close them, then a second later another or same box opens without you opening it, and you have to stop and close it and it keeps happening again and again, why would that be a good thing?

In the video, you are intentionally opening the boxes, we're talking about them opening without us clicking on them. Can you disable that feature? If you could fix it so that the drop downs only open if they are clicked on, that would be perfect!

18. Apr 23, 2015 #17
    If you don't want a menu opening, don't hover your cursor over the navigation. Right? How does a box open without you opening it?

19. Apr 23, 2015 #18

Evo

If you move your cursor over it, it opens and won't close. It only takes a fraction of a second for it to open. Maybe you can either require a click or to hover for 2 seconds. Make sure that people actually want it to open.

20. Apr 23, 2015 #19
    For me personally that is just too slow and unresponsive. There is about a half second window where you can pass without activating a window. As you can see in this video I have no trouble. I can imagine this is what should happen if you pass through the navigation trying to access a browser tab.

21. Apr 23, 2015 #20

Evo

:oldcry: It drives me crazy. I'm having to stop and close these all day every day, and it seems others are having the same problem. Maybe post a poll to see how bad it is?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook