1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stirlings approx/CoinFlips/Gamma function

1. Feb 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi I actually have three questions that I am posting here, help in all of them would be greatly appreciated!

1) Prove that ln(n!) ≈ nln(n)-n+ln(2*pi*n)/2 for large n

2)Supposed you flip 1000 coins, what is the probability of getting exactly 500 heads

3) Show that n! = [itex]\int x^{n}exp(-x)dx[/itex] where n is an integrer and the injtegral is from 0 to infinity. (The gamma function extends this definition of factorial to include non-integrers, z).

2. Relevant equations

Below

3. The attempt at a solution

1) I am pretty lost here. This is a third year thermodynamics course (not been heavily math based so far) so the solution shouldn't be something above that level. I don't even know where to start.

2) This one I thought would be really easy (and it should be). This is what I did.

I started off by ignoring the last term of stirlings approximation (this is what the textbook has and my prof did). the probability is

P[itex]_{N}[/itex](n) = [itex]\frac{N!}{(N-n)!n!}[/itex]*2[itex]^{-N}[/itex]
    by using stirlings approximation, (first taking the natural log of both sides) and simplifying I got (and my professor)

P = exp(NlnN - (N-n)ln(N-n)-nln(n)-Nln(2))

but when I plug in 1000 for N and 500 for n I keep getting 1 which I don't think is right. What am I doing wrong?

3)I tried to do an integration by parts on the right side but it leads to some undefined things (i.e. 0*infinity) so I am lost yet again. I thought that was just a definition, how do I show that?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2014 #2
    Please ignore number two, it required that the terms left off to be added. Still need help with 1 and 3

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted