1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Stirling's approximation/Multiplicity

1. Jan 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For a single large two-state paramagnet, the multiplicity function is very sharply peaked about [tex]N_{\uparrow} = N/2[/tex]

a) Use Stirling's approximation to estimate the height of the peak in the multiplicity function.

b) Use the methods in this section to derive a formula for the multiplicity function in the vicinity of the peak, in terms of [tex]x \equiv N_{\uparrow} - (N/2)[/tex] Check that your formula agrees with your answer to part (a) when x = 0.

c) How wide is the peak in the multiplicity function?

2. Relevant equations

Stirling's approximation: [tex]ln(N!) = N ln(N) - N [/tex]

# of microstates = [tex] \frac{N!}{N_{\uparrow}!N_{\downarrow}!}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The first question seems simple enough; I'll just plug in N/2:
    [tex] ln \Omega = ln(N!) - ln((N/2)!) - ln((N/2)!) [/tex]
    [tex] ln \Omega \approx Nln(N) - N - 2((N/2)ln(N/2)-N/2) = Nln(N)-Nln(N/2) = Nln(2)[/tex]

So the answer to (a) is 2^N. This seems problematic though because I think 2^N should be the total number of microstates for all macrostates, not just the macrostate where half the dipoles are "up"...Do I need to include the [tex]\sqrt{2{\pi}N}[/tex] term in Stirling's approximation?

For (b), I managed to get the formula:
    [tex]\Omega = N^N[(N/2+x)(N/2-x)]^{-N/2}(\frac{N/2-x}{N/2+x})^x[/tex]
    which does give me 2^N where x=0, but I expected to get a gaussian curve, especially considering part (c). But I can't see how I can get an exponential in the final answer because the exponentials seem to cancel out whether or not the square root term is in there.

What am I missing here? Am I on the right track at all?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2010 #2
    So it turns out this is fairly involved but not too complicated. All that's required is using the Taylor series expansion for the natural logarithm and neglecting terms because x<<N (since N is large and the question asks for the behavior "in the vicinity" of the peak)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook