Stoichiometric Coefficients and Relative Concentrations

In summary, Kc can be found using the binomial expansion if the initial molar amounts of reactants/products are known.
PFuser1232
For a simple equilibrium or non-equilibrium chemical reaction, while I understand that the ratio of the coefficients of each reactant/product is mathematically equal to the molar ratio, I am not quite sure whether or not it is equal to the ratio of concentrations of each component in the reaction mixture (assuming the reaction is taking place in an aqueous environment, for instance). Can someone please clarify this for me?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I am not sure what your question is. In general stoichiometric coefficients describe the reaction (in what ratio substances react and are being produced) not composition of mixtures.

My question arose because of so-called ICE tables that are commonly used while solving equilibrium problems. My doubt is with regard to the "C" (change) part. I am given to understand that if we are to use the stoichiometric coefficients of each reactant/product in the equilibrium to compute in what proportion "change" is occurring in the equilibrium, it would be change in molar AMOUNT, not molar concentration (that is, of course, since the mole ratio and the stoichiometric coefficient ratio are exactly the same). But why do we assume that stoichiometric ratios indicate the change in concentrations of reactants/products in the equilibrium?

In general you are right that we should stick to moles, not to concentration. However, in the case of a mixture volume is identical for all substances involved, so the change in number of moles is equivalent to the change in concentrations (in other words: it is the same because volume cancels out).

Likes PFuser1232
Does this apply even if we're given initial molar amounts of reactants/products?
Consider the Haber Process:
N2 + 3H2 <=> 2NH3
Kc = [NH3]2/[N2][H2]3
Suppose we're initially given 2 mol of N2 and 1 mol of H2, in a system of unknown volume, V.
Now, I understand that change is going to be -x for Nitrogen, -3x for Hydrogen, and +2x for Ammonia (x has dimensions mol/L).
While computing Kc for this equilibrium, can we substitute (2-x) for [N2] as though the initial concentration was 2 mol/L?
If we substitute the given data without glossing over any mathematical detail, we are left with:
Kc = (2x)2/(2/V mol - x)(1/V mol - 3x)3
If we do the binomial expansion, we would be left with Vs all over the place. I don't mean to be pedantic, it's just that I can't get my head around it and it's really bugging me.

Last edited:
MohammedRady97 said:
Suppose we're initially given 2 mol of N2 and 1 mol of H2, in a system of unknown volume, V.

If the V is unknown, and you are given Kc, problem can't be solved.

Likes PFuser1232
Unless the total number of molecules on the right is the same as the total number of molecules on the left of the equilibrium, am I getting this right?

Definitely in some cases volume doesn't matter and cancels out, yes.

Note you can always rescale the problem to V=1L, in which case volume again stops to matter.

What is a stoichiometric coefficient?

A stoichiometric coefficient is a number that represents the relative amount of a substance in a chemical reaction. It is used in a balanced chemical equation to show the ratio in which reactants combine and products are formed.

How is a stoichiometric coefficient determined?

Stoichiometric coefficients are determined through experimentation and calculations. The coefficients must be in the lowest possible whole number ratio to accurately represent the relative amounts of substances involved in a reaction.

What is the relationship between stoichiometric coefficients and relative concentrations?

The stoichiometric coefficients in a balanced chemical equation are directly related to the relative concentrations of the substances involved. The ratio of coefficients in the equation is equivalent to the ratio of concentrations of the substances in a solution.

Why are stoichiometric coefficients important in chemical reactions?

Stoichiometric coefficients are important because they provide information about the relative amounts of substances involved in a chemical reaction. They also help in determining the limiting reactant and predicting the amount of products that will be formed.

How do changes in stoichiometric coefficients affect a chemical reaction?

Changes in stoichiometric coefficients affect a chemical reaction by changing the relative amounts of substances involved. This can alter the rate of the reaction, the amount of products formed, and the overall outcome of the reaction.