Stonehenge Had Good Acoustics For Voice And Music

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Tests of a mini-Stonehenge indicates it was acoustically suited for music and voices.
Science News article
Original research article

Thus is was probably a good place to use for meetings of humans involving different audio features.

This argument is reminiscent (to me anyway) of a David Byrne talk on the subject of matching music with particular audio charactoristics with the venues in which they are placed:

Answers and Replies

Let us consider our world. E.g. I read these days that there (Halberstadt) is a music project, i.e. one play that is supposed to end in 2,600 something. They change it chord by chord every few(?) months. Or have a look on what people do for sports. E.g. you can find iron rings in the middle of a giant rock.Or look at our monuments. E.g. the Christ statue in Rio de Janeiro.

What would future archeologists say if our species has long been gone?

That leads me to the question: What if Stonehenge was simply modern art?

BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
a music project, i.e. one play that is supposed to end in 2,600 something. They change it chord by chord every few(?) months.
Such a long term project does not sound like something to sit and listen to somewhere.
Its more like an intellectual project in doing something different for the sake of being different, not for listening to. Probably could be heard in any setting (or a variety of settings, distributed over time, as someone lives their life). Actual listening quality is probably not a very important aspect of it.

Or have a look on what people do for sports. E.g. you can find iron rings in the middle of a giant rock.Or look at our monuments. E.g. the Christ statue in Rio de Janeiro.

What would future archeologists say if your species has long been gone?
The use and functions of a lot of stuff found by archeologists, is not well explained in the societies that generated them.

That leads me to the question: What if Stonehenge was simply modern art?
I would call it ancient art!