Stony Brook or Auburn or Virginia?

• Thread starter andy_adinolfi
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is transferring to a new school for undergraduate studies in physics. They have been accepted to Auburn and Stony Brook, but are still waiting to hear back from UVA. They believe all three schools have good physics programs, but Stony Brook may be academically better and have well-known faculty members. However, the campus is described as dead on weekends and the speaker is considering UVA due to its social scene. They plan to visit the schools before making a decision and have already earned an associates degree. They also mention that they may experience a dip in grades due to the academic rigor of their new school. Lastly, they question if Stony Brook has closed its graduate program.
andy_adinolfi
Im transferring as an undergrad next semester and planning to study physics. I've been accepted into Auburn and stony brook so far. I am still waiting to hear from VA. since i live in VA its my top pic, but it is very competitive so I am ready for rejection.
I believe both stony brook and auburn have great undergrad physics programs, maybe even better than UVA.
Do you folks have any advice?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Certainly all three are well-respected.

Virginia offers a top-notch public school experience together with a good in-state tuition. And, if he remains on faculty, Mike Fowler is incomparable.

TVP45 said:
Certainly all three are well-respected.

Virginia offers a top-notch public school experience together with a good in-state tuition. And, if he remains on faculty, Mike Fowler is incomparable.

I would say Stony Brook, BUT, be warned, a lot of people hate it at Stony Brook. I go to Stony Brook for math and it is a really good program here. I have a bunch of friends who are physics majors (some are going to UT-Austin for PhD studies) and I really don't think Auburn or Virginia can compare in terms of preparing you for grad school.

So the academic aspect, Stony Brook wins hands down. I know grad school rankings don't matter, but Stony Brook is generally regarded as a top 25-30 school for grad school. (If you don't believe me check the US News Rankings and the NRC rankings). To me, it matters a little bit since Stony Brook has some really really well known faculty members in both math and physics and because of this, you at least have an opportunity of working with them and getting some great research experience.

However, undegrad is not completely about studying (as opposed to grad). Stony Brook is a very dead campus. I'm talking to you from experience. I live on campus and it is seriously a ghost town on the weekends. I am fortunate enough to have good roommates but some people really hate it here. The main reason is that it is a big commuter school and a lot of the kids that do dorm, are from long island and so they go home on the weekends. I'm nearly positive Auburn and Virginia are much better socially, but not really as good academically. I would go to UVA personally. I feel like UVA is probably a good school for physics, NOT GREAT, but it's probably much more fun to attend.

My advice, VISIT these schools. Stony Brook has an AWESOME faculty for physics. I believe that going to Stony Brook, getting involved in research with some professors and doing well will definitely give you the best shot of becoming a physicist. But, I really have to stress, it's not as active of a campus as UVA or Auburn, not by any stretch. Visit Stony Brook on a weekday but also visit it on a Saturday afternoon. The weekday can be very deceiving, the weekends will show you what it is like. I'm assuming you are not from around Stony Brook, so this might be a big deal for you.

Either way, good luck with everything.

Last edited:
Stony brook did seem like a pretty depressing place. All that dirty concrete was a little scary.
Thanks for your advice. I do like to go out on the weekends but two hours into NYC is a little far.

andy_adinolfi said:
Stony brook did seem like a pretty depressing place. All that dirty concrete was a little scary.
Thanks for your advice. I do like to go out on the weekends but two hours into NYC is a little far.

When I was there, Thursday nights was the night for parties... and the weekends were relatively quiet, as described above. You don't have to go into NYC to enjoy being off-campus. If I recall correctly, Port Jefferson is nice. You may need a car... or know someone with a car.

Oh... academically, I thought Stony Brook was pretty good. I transferred into the junior year and double-majored in Physics and Math... and enjoyed the interaction between those departments. (For example, they attended each others' seminars.) It's convenient that their buildings are connected. I had access to faculty and was able to take a few graduate courses as an undergraduate.

If you're looking for the most academically challenging school, I'd certainly switch my recommendation to Stony Brook. But, transferring after (I presume) your sophomore year usually means there was something lacking at your present school. What was that and which of the three best meets that need?

TVP45 said:
But, transferring after (I presume) your sophomore year usually means there was something lacking at your present school. What was that

ha, that sounds just like the question all the schools i applied too wanted a 1 page answer for.
I will be earning my associates degree at my community college at the end of this semester.
so ill need two more years for a bachelor.
I like the sound of academically challenging.
This is the main attraction that stonybrook has. But its only undergrad right. So i am also very attracted to the greatness of SEC football at auburn.
Also at Auburn there is a high ratio of faculty to students in physics. But Stonybrook works with Brookhaven laboratory.
and then stony brook requires me to make a decision by may 1st, and i probably won't have heard from UVA by then.
ARRGGHH

A bit of unsolicited advice: I'm guessing you're transferring out of a VCC school. If so, you're in for a bit of a rude shock your first semester, and you should be prepared for that infamous dip in grades and the "Thanksgiving depression". You're now going to be in classes with some amazingly smart people. Just be prepared for it and hang in there.

Did Stony Brook close its graduate program?

TVP45 said:
A bit of unsolicited advice: I'm guessing you're transferring out of a VCC school. If so, you're in for a bit of a rude shock your first semester, and you should be prepared for that infamous dip in grades and the "Thanksgiving depression". You're now going to be in classes with some amazingly smart people. Just be prepared for it and hang in there.

Yeah i have been a bit scared of this. I've got a 3.7 at nvcc which, at a university, would probably be just a 3.0 or even less.
In preparation for this i have decided not to work for my fist year at the university and get a cot in the Library!
Also i think it would be helpful for me to study over the summer. E&M , Quantum, math.
Any good, reasonably priced book recommendations?
Thanks again

I would say monetary concerns should be number one, or at least they would be for me. I know plenty of people who got into MIT for undergrad but decided to go to NCSU because of the prospect of graduating with so much debt. In the end, it is usually not worth it career wise, but maybe, academically it may be worth it. The way I see it you should consider your options in this order

cost>academic strength>university life.

I say this because as you say you are transferring, and so will only be there for 2 to 2 & 1/2 years.

i suggest you read this study.

http://www.physicstoday.org/vol-56/iss-9/p38.html

Last edited by a moderator:
mathwonk said:

Ha, that's funny, a guy in the picture for NCSU is now a math grad student here. He is in my Galois theory course and my Algebraic Topology course.

mathwonk said:

Interesting study. Thanks for the link. I'm not completely sure what to make of it.

1. What is the main focus of research at Stony Brook?

The main focus of research at Stony Brook is in the fields of medicine, engineering, and the natural and social sciences.

2. What is the reputation of Auburn University's science programs?

Auburn University has a strong reputation for its science programs, particularly in the areas of agriculture, veterinary medicine, and engineering.

3. What type of scientific facilities are available at the University of Virginia?

The University of Virginia has a variety of scientific facilities, including state-of-the-art labs and research centers, as well as specialized equipment and instruments for conducting a wide range of experiments and studies.

4. How does Stony Brook support its graduate students in their research?

Stony Brook offers various resources and funding opportunities for graduate students to support their research, such as grants, fellowships, and assistantships. The university also has dedicated faculty mentors and advisors who provide guidance and support to students throughout their research projects.

5. What are some notable scientific breakthroughs that have come out of Auburn University?

Auburn University has made significant contributions to the scientific community, including the development of a new cancer treatment using nanotechnology and the discovery of a new species of dinosaur. The university also has ongoing research in areas such as renewable energy, water resources, and food safety.