1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Physics master program at Stony Brooks.

1. Mar 20, 2010 #1
    Hello!

I am a master student in France. With a good curriculum after a double undergraduate program between Brazil's best physics program and a France's top engeniering school. I applied to several PhD programs for this fall and the only acceptance I got was at SUNY Stony Brooks for a MA program without funding.
    I would like to know different things: (1) if this program is actually good, (2) how are the changes of after one year in SUNY's MA to get to a top university PhD like Princeton, (3) or is a PhD at Stony Brooks equally well, for a student like me who aims at Mathematical Physics. (4) I have a second possibility, that would probably be to end my master in France at Ecole Normale Superieur - but after that I would really like to do a PhD in the US. Was it the best option?
    Thanks a lot,

Aron

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2010 #2
    Stony Brook is a good school, with a good reputation. However, it is not very prestigious. The coursework is rigorous and there is a LOT of research, but the prestige of the school is far below were it should be (it is quite an amazing school actually).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook