Stopping force for 850kg car moving at 110km/h

  • Thread starter Thread starter physicsgrade11
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
physicsgrade11
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
ok here is the question exaclty- its worth 5 marks so i don't know what I am missing..

A car with a mass of 850kg is moving in a straight line at a constant speed of 110km/h. It is brought to rest in 10.0s. What constant force is acting to stop the car?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks anyways guys but i got it. I think i was thinking it was asking what force as in friction or wind etc. was stopping it but its asking the force it would take to stop it in that time.
 
If you are not familiar with impulse/momentum, you can always use kinematics to find the acceleration, then apply Newton's 2nd law to find the force.
 
Good point...I guess they should have said "determine the magnitude of the constant force that brings the car to a stop".