Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Storing data in quantum spaces.

1. Mar 27, 2014 #1
    Would it be possible to store Data in a space smaller or equal to the plank length? And also does Data (or the storage of it) take up physical space and if so how much approximately?
    Thanks, Michael.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2014 #2
    There is believed to be an upper bound on the amount of information you can store in a given volume: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bekenstein_bound

Interestingly, according to this bound the maximum amount of data that you can store in a given spherical region is proportional to the *surface area* of the sphere instead of its volume.

4. Mar 27, 2014 #3
    That is interesting! I had a look at the link and the equation involves the mass of the system, what do you think this would correspond to in my query?

5. Mar 28, 2014 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Mar 28, 2014 #5
    I'm not entirely sure how landauers limit applies to my question (since this principle applies to only a logically irriversible manipulation of data , which i don't think this is?), could you please explain?

Using this inequality I calculated the minumum mass-energy of a system required to store one bit of information in a sphere of diameter the planck length, to be 4.316*10^-9 joules. which corresponds to a stationary mass of 4.802*10^-9 Kg.

I have only minimal understanding of computing systems, the processes of storing information and the sort of system required to do so, But is this order of mass for a system practically feasible? (or could it be in the near future? - and i know the future&technology is a vague concept itself but...)

7. Mar 28, 2014 #6

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook